Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question about WiRNS-like function for 2000 series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcadefreaque
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie question about WiRNS-like function for 2000 series Reply with quote

Is there anything that works like wirns for the 2000 series units? I know that I'll have to set a dialup connection to a pc since there's no ethernet (which shouldn't be a problem with 2 phone lines in the house and a winnt server). I just need the software to shake hands and spit out a file for the 2000 device with a custom channel listing.

I haven't read up much, but is it feasible to think that I might be able to establish a connection via a terminal emulator and feed the guide that way? Is the 2000 series guide in the same format as the 5000 series, or is the 2000 series guide format documented anywhere?

TIA for any info you may have for me on this subject.
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it's been a couple months, thought I'd reply anyway... I use WiRNS with my ShowStopper 2000, works great. I have a Linux box set up with a modem and a line simulator to answer the dial in from the Replay and then talk to the WiRNS server. There is a long thread on AVS Forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=df3d2916e9921b3516cb8c03cbaacb32&threadid=36769
that shows one how to do it. I use Linux because of the name length limitation in Windows server (unless you have the professional version) and the inability to use unauthenticated logins.

- Remmer
ijprest
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

Any tweaks required to the WiRNS sources? I recall there being some differences between the getcg2.pl requests made by 2000/3000 Replays, and the newer versions.

I'm looking to retire my old Linux hardware that I've been using to run my custom Perl RNS scripts (which have served me well for about four years). I tried a while back to port my Linux VM (VMware) to a new machine, but hardware incompatibilities prevented it.

I've only played with it for a few hours, but WiRNS looks promising.

Thanks,
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some code in there commented as:
/* Support 2xxx->5xxx series of replays */

WiRNS has worked with my 2000 since version 0.6, and still does right out of the box.

I have added a couple of plugins that used to be available but are of little use to non-dialup Replays. I have a NoPhoneNumbers and a NoZones plugin that speed up the process a little, since I never use zones and don't need new phone numbers.

I also seem to have to recompile ChannelGuideProvider every release to eliminate a problem with many channels getting No Information all the time, but this happens to me on both the 2000 and the 5040.

I had (have) a much bigger problem keeping my Linux box working just to answer the phone. Since that's all I use it for, every time there's a problem I have to remember what I did. I may have to go off in search of a Windows solution once again...

For most it's a bigger pain than it's worth, but if you already have a Linux box it wouldn't be too bad.

--Remmer
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn... I should have the ChannelGuideProvider issue resolved. The last few releases I have made sure to delete the plugins in the build directory prior rebuilding, and in a certain order. Then, I delete the plugins in the installer/zip directory before copying the new plugins.

What? We have ReplayYoda & ReplayObi-Wan here now?

Ryan
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbolen70 wrote:
What? We have ReplayYoda & ReplayObi-Wan here now?
Ryan

2005 augers well for the WiRNS community. In a few short days I have seen posts by Ian, Glenn, Zad. Ryan, you are gonna have some fun with this, now.

Regards,

Wayne
ijprest
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I finally got some free time to try this out.

I downloaded FREESCO, and spent most of the day getting it to work. Following a couple of HowTo's on AVSForum, I got it to the point where the Replay can connect to FREESCO and all traffic is sent to the real RNS servers.

Now I just need to figure out how to get FREESCO to redirect traffic to my Windows box running WiRNS. Any FREESCO/Linux gurus out there who know how this works?

Thanks,
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: You made me boot up my linux box, I hope you feel bad :) Reply with quote

Five months since you last talked about this, I thought I was in the clear

I'm pretty sure you have to have your WiRNS box set as the DNS on your Linux box, and that may be enough.

You might also look at setting WiRNS as the default gateway for the Linux box as well.

That should kill a couple hours

G
ijprest
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it working by adding the DNS server to FREESCO.

It would have been a lot easier, if I had noticed that the real RNS server went and changed the server name to production.replaytv.net (from the old one: rns.replaytv.net). I spent sever hours trying to figure out why my DNS wasn't working, only to discover that it was.

Now that I've got it working, I'll port my setup over to WiRNS in the next few days. No doubt I'll have lots of questions!

Glenn, if you're interested, the FREESCO solution is fairly simple compared to running a full-blown Linux distro. It's a single-disk system, and I'm running it under VMware on the same machine as WiRNS.
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ijprest wrote:
Well, I got it working by adding the DNS server to FREESCO.

It would have been a lot easier, if I had noticed that the real RNS server went and changed the server name to production.replaytv.net (from the old one: rns.replaytv.net). I spent sever hours trying to figure out why my DNS wasn't working, only to discover that it was.

Now that I've got it working, I'll port my setup over to WiRNS in the next few days. No doubt I'll have lots of questions!

Glenn, if you're interested, the FREESCO solution is fairly simple compared to running a full-blown Linux distro. It's a single-disk system, and I'm running it under VMware on the same machine as WiRNS.

This is great news! I know that there have been several people over on avs that would like to be able to use this solution. Any chance on a simple write-up?

Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: