Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replay Stuck at "Please Wait" or Appears Dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Replay Stuck at "Please Wait" or Appears Dead Reply with quote

If you are watching the Replay on channel 3 or 4 (coax output) or component output, you can't see that it is having a problem booting: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/replaytvappearsdead.htm, which also explains that the fan may also not run. Read this link: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/intro.htm.

First, it should go without saying, but make sure that your ReplayTV is unplugged from the wall outlet!

Here are some excelent hard drive removal instructions. What's not shown is that depending on how you feel about the front panel cable tie wrap, you either should clip the tie wrap (and replace it if you want to), or unplug the front panel cable connector from the mother board and simply be careful as you remove the hard drive carrier from the Replay...

Also, while you are in the Replay, you should retighten all the screws holding down the mother board and power supply. My definition of this is that you slightly untighten them and then retighten them. Here are good pictures of where all the screws that should be retighten are located, including this picture near the bottom of the page. It also shows how to remove the front panel cable connector if you want to leave the existing tie wrap in place...

When you install the new hard drive, you should recable the hard drive cable (EIDE cable) as shown here...

This completes removing and replacing the ReplayTV hard drive...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 13 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Instructions on creating a new ReplayTV hard drive Reply with quote

Instructions on creating a new ReplayTV hard drive...

First of all, if you are having any problems at all with your current Replay hard drive, you have no choice but to re-image the new replacement hard drive. You should NOT consider at all using the current Replay hard drive to copy the system partition to the new replacement hard drive! In this case, you cannot preserve your current recorded shows or recording schedules. And, there is no point in copying the shows from your current Replay hard drive to the new replacement hard drive. Which means that there's no point at this time in connecting the current Replay hard drive to your PC, you only need to be connecting the new replacement hard drive to your PC. The general instructions for RTRPatch are for upgrading a GOOD, WORKING Replay hard drive to a higher capacity or dual drive. The instructions following are for replacing a non-functioning or erratic behaving hard drive:

Here is the website for RTVPatch, with documentation. Version 2.5.3 is the latest as of this posting and is probably the best Windows version of RTVPatch. Here are instructions on pretty much everything. And, here are additional instructions on using RTVPatch to replace a hard drive, including how to reroute the IDE hard drive cable...

You'll need to download a ReplayTV image if you are replacing the hard drive versus upgrading it. The above link has some places to download images, as well as you can download them from here...

In the case of replacing the hard drive, you only need to connect the new hard drive into your PC. This can be done many different ways, but the easiest may be to hook up the hard drive instead of the PC CD/DVD drive...

When you get the PC running with the new hard drive installed, then you run the RTVPatch program, select the new hard drive as target, and choose to restore target drive, which will prompt you to enter the image file name. Because the image restores the Replay to an out of box experience, the photo partition and show partition aren't important. When you boot up the Replay, it is going to start from scratch with no shows and allowing you to configure the photo partition....

Be sure and patch the hard drive as RTVPatch instructs you! Here are some trouble shooting instructions if you have problems after creating the new ReplayTV hard drive...

Before you install the new hard drive back in the ReplayTV, be sure that the drive select jumper is set properly. The best suggestion is to set it the same way as the old hard drive was set. But, it may be necessary to switch between Master and Cable Select to get it working properly...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 am; edited 9 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Instructions for extracting shows from a ReplayTV hard drive Reply with quote

Instructions for extracting shows from a ReplayTV hard drive...

There are several different ways to connect a ReplayTV hard drive into a PC. The easiest way may be to hook it up instead of the PC CD/DVD drive...

Boot your PC with the ReplayTV hard drive connected. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO RUN ANY WINDOWS MANAGEMENT ON THE HARD DRIVE! To check that you have connected up the ReplayTV hard drive properly, you can use RTVPatch to see if it discoveres the ReplayTV hard drive. Using RTVPatch can also be useful for saving the boot partition from the ReplayTV hard drive and for testing the boot partition of a failing ReplayTV hard drive...

Download extract_rtv5 from here. While the normal extract_rtv can extract shows from a ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx hard drive, only extract_rtv5 can get the show information from a ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx hard drive!

The easiest way to use extract_rtv5 is probably to download it to the directory where you want to store all of your extracted shows. You need to open a DOS box (command prompt) in order to run extract_rtv5. You need to CD into the directory where you downloaded extract_rtv5. You then manually run the extract_rtv5 command line. A command line like:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -p1 -v
to verify the ReplayTV hard drive boot partition. You can use:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -dr >recordings.txt
to create a text file with the ReplayTV's recordings configuration.

In order to see how much storage space you'll need in order to extract all the shows off the ReplayTV hard drive, use:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv

Once you have everything all setup, then you can use:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -p2 -e
to extract all of your recorded ReplayTV shows to the current directory. After you extract all the shows, then you can run:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -dsx
to extract all of the recorded show descriptions to the current directory. This will allow you to use DVArchive, WiRNS, or IVSmagic to access the extracted ReplayTV shows...

There are many other options that can be used for other purposes and are described in the help screen by running "extract_rtv5" with no other command line parameters...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 am; edited 4 times in total
seanarcher
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: ok ok ok ---but its still over my head!~ Reply with quote

ok...i get it....
but is there something that uses a "non command line"....

i know i am a rookie...
but you folks are just talking over my head!!

i don't know where to download these files...
to my windows hard drive?
to a CD?
to my bad replay drive?
to my replacement drive?!

how about a little help for a non-computer dude?
pretty please?!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ok ok ok ---but its still over my head!~ Reply with quote

seanarcher wrote:
ok...i get it....
but is there something that uses a "non command line"....

i know i am a rookie...
but you folks are just talking over my head!!

i don't know where to download these files...
to my windows hard drive?
to a CD?
to my bad replay drive?
to my replacement drive?!

how about a little help for a non-computer dude?
pretty please?!

Not sure which of the three parts above you are referring to. RTVPatch is already non command line. If you are referring to extract_rtv5, you can try using RTV Explorer. Be sure and use it with the updated extract_rtv5, however. It can't do quite everything that the command line extract_rtv5 can, but it may do what you want.

Again, I'm not sure what files you are talking about, but all the files in the three posts are Windows files meant to be downloaded to something like Windows XP. The instructions are pretty well step by step. Please explain what part exactly you are having trouble with...

Henry
Apota
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running RTVPatch but it seems like it only works coping an old hard drive to the new hard drive, but I want to do an image. I don't see any documentation that says you can use an image with RTVPatch. Let me know... Thanks..
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apota wrote:
I'm running RTVPatch but it seems like it only works coping an old hard drive to the new hard drive, but I want to do an image. I don't see any documentation that says you can use an image with RTVPatch. Let me know... Thanks..

Well, did you read this very thread that you are posting into? The very second post explains how to use RTVPatch with an image...

Henry
Roark
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going thru this site, and links therein still no luck reviving my r5040. A few weeks ago, I was stuck on the "Please wait" screen. I pulled the drive and couldn't get it to read on my PC so I figured it was fried. I bought a 160GB Western Digital Caviar SE, (I think it's compatible, as it does not have "AA" immediately after the WD1600 in the model number.) I've low level formatted the drive, to make sure Windows hasn't done anything to it, and used the patch program(s) 2.5.3 and 2.4 to install a few flavors of replay images: Factory Reset Image 530511440.rtv, RTV_5K_FactoryReset_140.rtv, and 5040_530510190.rtv. The only wire connected to it when I try to boot is a video cable. I think the power supply is still good, as I used a voltmeter to test all the settings found here: http://www.replaytvparts.com/5000or5500powerproblems.html and it all checks out. I've tried a few different settings for the jumper - the original drive was on CS, I've tried "Single", CS, and "Dual Master". It still hangs on the screen -- only thing I've noticed different when I use the Dual Master is that the screen will flash every 15 secs. or so. Oh, and I've replaced the IDE cable, with one from an old computer I don't use anymore, and it has two connectors. I have it connected to the one on the end, so that's why I tried the Dual Master setting.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone think of anything else to try?

Roark
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that the replacement drive is a WD1600JB on the sticker on the drive itself (not on the box)?

The "Please Wait..." screen means that the Replay is not booting from the hard drive for whatever reason. Sounds like you have tried lots of things. You might need to try another hard drive. But, make sure that you are imaging the drive properly. After it is imaged, RTVPatch should show it with a ReplayTV symbol. And, you might have to experiment more with the IDE cable and the drive select jumper...

Henry
Roark
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx! it has the aa on the drive. returning now. appreciate the help! will let you know how it goes.

roark
Roark
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to the store and I forgot my phone. And these stores are catching on ... none of the computers go out to the internet, so you can't price shop, and more importantly-- research info! I will have to return the maxtor drive i just bought: 7200.10. At least I'm learning a ton. Bought a WD3200 first to replace the WD160 - opened it when i got out to the car and found the AA, so returned it and got the Maxtor. I'm done with instant gratification. I'm ordering off the internet, and tho I'll have to wait a few days, at least I know I'll have a better chance of getting something that works.

Side note: 3 wks without replay now, and my wife says - we need to fix it or get something else -- replay has changed me. LOL. She's the one who thought I was nuts when I brought it home.

Thanks again for the help! Off to newegg!

-Roark
theimagemaker
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Maxtor Reply with quote

I found a 300gig Maxtor 5400 made just for PVR on eBay for 49.00 just did my imaging hope it works. Al Maxtor sticker information was the same as my dead 160 gig down to the point of CS already being set. Yes they did 100% seller feedback rating.

Good luck on your's ... hooking up mine, here goes
dotheDVDeed
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Instructions for extracting shows from a ReplayTV hard drive...

The easiest way to use extract_rtv5 is probably to download it to the directory where you want to store all of your extracted shows. You need to open a DOS box (command prompt) in order to run extract_rtv5. You need to CD into the directory where you downloaded extract_rtv5. You then manually run the extract_rtv5 command line. A command line like:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -p1 -v
to verify the ReplayTV hard drive boot partition. You can use:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -dr >recordings.txt
to create a text file with the ReplayTV's recordings configuration.

Once you have everything all setup, then you can use:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -p2 -e
to extract all of your recorded ReplayTV shows to the current directory. After you extract all the shows, then you can run:
Code:
extract_rtv5 -dsx
to extract all of the recorded show descriptions to the current directory. This will allow you to use DVArchive, WiRNS, or IVSmagic to access the extracted ReplayTV shows...

Henry

Thank You Henry--You saved my butt. These instructions helped this mostly Mac User negotiate this DOS program easily.

TIM

Just a helpful reminder: Your hard drive should be empty enough to download all your ReplayTV shows. ("No duh!" I can hear all the experts saying)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotheDVDeed wrote:
Thank You Henry--You saved my butt. These instructions helped this mostly Mac User negotiate this DOS program easily.

TIM

Just a helpful reminder: Your hard drive should be empty enough to download all your ReplayTV shows. ("No duh!" I can hear all the experts saying)

Glad to be of help!

Just a note, use "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv" to get the total size of all of the shows to extract (which I just added to the instructions, thanks)...

Henry
thanos23
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Disk Image Read Error <Too many open files in system> Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to the forum and was trying to use these instructions to recover shows off a crashed replay drive. When I use "extract_rtv5 -P2 -E" I get about a dozen files to write but then the process stops giving the following error: Disk image read 54089679872 error: 23 <Too many open files in system>

I'm not very tech savvy and not sure if this error means the drive is corrupt at the point it stops, a system resources limitation thing or something else.

I ran the -p2 -v command in extract_rtv5 and got no errors so not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Disk Image Read Error <Too many open files in system& Reply with quote

thanos23 wrote:
I am new to the forum and was trying to use these instructions to recover shows off a crashed replay drive. When I use "extract_rtv5 -P2 -E" I get about a dozen files to write but then the process stops giving the following error: Disk image read 54089679872 error: 23 <Too many open files in system>

I'm not very tech savvy and not sure if this error means the drive is corrupt at the point it stops, a system resources limitation thing or something else.

I ran the -p2 -v command in extract_rtv5 and got no errors so not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, under Windows, the error description is for DOS errors and not Windows errors. The actual error for Windows (from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382.aspx) is:

ERROR_CRC 23 (0x17) Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Which makes a lot more sense that it is trying to read a bad sector for the file it is trying to extract...

What I would suggest is you use "-p2 -l" to get the names of all the files. I don't know if you were able to recover any files or not, but if you only have a dozen or so, you can manually run "-p2 -e <file name>" to extract each show file manually.

Actually, you'd probably be better off using the RTVExplorer GUI application. In that you can select multiple files to extract using the normal Windows GUI interface (holding the Shift key or Ctrl key). You probably should try selecting show files in triplets (the .mpg, .ndx, and .evt files) one show at a time (select the three files with the same name) until you find the problem show file and just skip over that one. You might be able to simply select all the files and watch it and maybe you'd be able to tell what show it was extracting when it got the error and then select all the files after that problem show, I don't know for sure...

Be sure and follow my instructions about installing RTVExplorer and the overwritting extract_rtv5.exe in the install folder with the latest one. You might also have to correct the fact that RTVExplorer under "Settings->More Settings ands Tools" in the "Program Settings" section might have the "extract_rtv5.exe:" incorrect. It should have extract_rtv5.exe filled in...

After you get done extracting all the show files that you can, be sure and run "-dsx" to create the DVArchive XML files. RTVExplorer will also create some basic DVArchive XML files, which will be sufficient, but extract_rtv5 creates much more complete XML files...

Henry
thanos23
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry, your suggestion to use RTVExplorer and slowly cherry pick files is working well. I will also use the -dsx command in extract_rtv5 to get the richer XML files. The reason I didn't try this from the beginning is that I missed the part on overwriting extract_rtv5 in the RTVExplorer directory so nothing showed in that program for me.

I just want to take the time to say thanks for all of the work you've done on behalf of the ReplayTV community. While this is the first time I've joined a forum and asked a question, I have run into solutions you posted for various RTV troubleshooting work over the last few years (while googling for answers) and I'm very grateful that there are knowledgeable people like you putting in the time to help. The ReplayTV is still such a great DVR and I hope they keep the activation going for a few more years.

Unrelated to my query but I recently bought a Roku box to stream Netflix and it's changed the way I watch TV as much as the ReplayTV did. Not so much for the Netflix but for the fascinating free channels available on there that include university lectures from Yale, learning languages, childrens programming, European and world foreign radio streaming through your TV, firearm education and training courses, and so many others. Turns out that the creator of Roku is the same man who created ReplayTV. As someone who doesn't have cable/satellite and relies on an RTV with OTA, the Roku is an awesome supplement, but I digress...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words! I felt bad about the way that extract_rtv5 works with Windows errors and looked at it again a bunch today. Unfortunately, for a command prompt application, making extract_rtv5 output nice Windows error messages is a real pain. I probably should just take out the error messages and leave the error number, which can be looked up on the site I posted. I was also thinking that I should change for using just the -e option to extract all files to not stop on errors and continue extracting files. But, I'm kind of busy with "real" work right now, so it'll have to be a project for sometime when I have a little spare "hobby" time!

Your story about Roku reminds me of something that is closer to me. I was a real Atari 2600 fanatic (actually, probably still am), and used to build my own game loading systems. A company named GameLine came along and sold a cartridge that allowed you to download games over the phone line. I modified it and built my own download system out of it, but I talked to them several times about their design. Anyway, it turns out that the creator of the GameLine company went on to start (I think it was) CompUserve, and then, I think, AOL, or something along those lines. So, it's really funny that the start of an Atari 2600 game download system turned into basically the beginnings of the Internet that we know today! It's just amazing how things progress!

Good luck with your file extraction! I hope it goes well for you!

Henry
thanos23
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! An -e option that didn't stop on errors would be sweet for sure (and more bang for the buck than the error messages). Ah, if only we could be paid the big bucks for our hobbies!

Wow, modding Atari systems, you've been in the "game" for a while That's crazy about the start of the internet going back to an Atari related company. I thought I knew everything about Atari but I had never even heard of Gameline till now. Fascinating that someone was that far ahead of their time and that the concept of pay to download goes that far back. Too bad you didn't realize back then what they were onto, you could've bought ReplayTV from DirecTV with "pocket change" given the scratch you would've earned (although, at some point they may be willing to sell for actual pocket change)

I still have my 2600 and use it at least once a year around the holidays to show the youngins how we rolled back in the day! I have amassed quite a large colection of games over the years and it's amazing to see how much rare copies of games go for these days. I also still have my Commodore 128D that I boot up for kicks once in a while, a really cool machine in its time. I did a little basic BASIC programming back in the day but that's long been forgotten.

Tom
mathewstuart
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ideas shared here is quite clear and have to experience the change. Whenever we make new options to the current choices, it will result in something interesting. I'm doing a research on RTV aspects and this forum providing really good stuffs for my research paper writing. I'm thankful to all members of the forum for creating active moments which contribute much in the users. Also it is sharing newer information at the moment it happens.

Thanks...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanos23 wrote:
An -e option that didn't stop on errors would be sweet for sure (and more bang for the buck than the error messages).

Pick up version 81 at SourceForge ("Added not to abort extract all files on read error")!

Henry
njj
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Trying to extract shows from hard drive Reply with quote

More than 3 years ago I was able to extract shows from a hard drive using Henry's wonderful instructions.

Since I no longer have the program on this laptop, I tried to d/l it following the link referenced by Henry in the post "Replay Stuck at "Please Wait" or Appears Dead":

"Download extract_rtv5 from here. While the normal extract_rtv can extract shows from a ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx hard drive, only extract_rtv5 can get the show information from a ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx hard drive!"

I downloaded "extract RTV 84 zip" (shown as the latest version).

When I try to open it, I get a "flash" window (looks like a cmd box) and that's it. I tried right clicking on it to "open as administrator" with same results.

What am I doing wrong? I'm running Windows 7.

Nancy
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Nancy! Open a command prompt and CD to the directory that you unzipped extract_rtv5, and then enter the command line(s) that you want to run as explained here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61762#61762 (the paragraph right after you quoted). That isn't a Windows application, it is a command prompt program...

Oh, and you need to open the command prompt as admin as well. So, just like you tried to run the program as admin, run the command prompt as admin so that extract_rtv5 will have permissions to access the RTV hard drive...

Henry
njj
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry. I forgot this part. I'll try working on it hopefully tomorrow and see if I have any shows on the hard drives. I have all my notes from your guidance the last time, so hopefully I won't have to bug you again! And I did see where you mentioned last time to sign in as admin in both places.

Thanks as always!!!
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Error message in DOS Reply with quote

When I try to use extract_rtv5 I get the error message: Didn't detect any ReplayTV drives connected to the system

But RTV patch is showing it as PhysicalDrive5

So then I tried extract_rtv5 \\.\PhysicalDrive5 -d and it says: Unable to open drive image file: No such file or directory. I've tried this with -v also.

Am I putting the spaces in the wrong place for DOS to recognize? I've tried it with a space after extract_rtv5 and without.

Help?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you open the command prompt specifically as administrator as I just discussed with Nancy above? What you're describing is what happens if you don't specifically open the command prompt as administrator. Once you open the command prompt as administrator and run extract_rtv5, it should find the drive on its own without specifying it...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: