Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple Guide to Archiving shows, virtual replaytvs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocraven_d
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Simple Guide to Archiving shows, virtual replaytvs Reply with quote

<Reserved for The Quick Guide>
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: How to use WiRNS to archive shows & stream back to repla Reply with quote

I've been using WiRNS for channel mapping for years (to get Canadian listings), and also have some shows archived using DVArchive. However, since I think WiRNS is capable of doing the archiving things I use DVArchive for, I thought I'd simplify and try out WiRNS' archiving functions.

Another bonus I'm hoping for is that WiRNS protocols may be more robust in terms of dealing with interruptions. My ReplayTV is usually connected to my network wirelessly, which works fine for channel guide updates and poopli but not as well for DVArchive. I haul out a long cable when I want to do much DVArchive stuff. I've noticed that the tag for the WiRNS virtual replay is visible on my Replay Guide (on the ReplayTV itself) much more reliably than the DVArchive virtual replay, so I'm hoping the other functions are also more robust. Any thoughts on whether that might be the case, or whether the actual transfer and streaming capabilities are likely to be similar for DVA & WiRNS (specifically regarding wireless Replay-PC connection)?

Ultimately, if it's an improvement, I'd like to transfer my DVArchived shows to WiRNS and set things up to download future archives through WiRNS directly. To test initially, is it easier to set WiRNS to look for DVA files or to set it up to download something fresh?

SYSTEM INFO: ReplayTV4508+320G disk upgrade. Freshly updated Wirns2.
DONE SO FAR:

Configuration/WiRNS Show Paths - I'm guessing this is where I add where I want it to look for archived shows. I put in the path where the DVArchives shows live, checked "enabled", and all the other boxes for that line. Not sure if that's best or too much!

Configuration/Replays. In addition to the actual 45xx replay, I have a WiRNS virtual and a DVA virtual listed, with separate IPs set up when we were getting conflicts earlier. The DVA says N/A for Port and ISN, but the WiRNS virtual has a fake(?) 5xxx ISN and port 80. These do show up in the WiRNS ReplayGuide screen, but only the actual Replay has shows listed.

I tried looking at "Tools/Manage WiRNS shows" as that sounded related, but got "WiRNS Security MUST be enabled to use this function." I haven't seen anything about enabling WiRNS security, but this may be something I need to do too!

Thanks in advance,
rrraven
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote in your post on your wireless experiences, the problem with using any kind of remote video sharing with your Replay is that it is expected to be able to go at full video streaming speeds since the expectation is to watch the show from the remote Replay directly on the TV. So, that really isn't a problem with DVArchive's robustness, but rather in the requirement that the video data be delivered at a fast enough rate or else bad things happen. So, that requirement doesn't change whether you are using a second Replay, DVArchive, or WiRNS. HOWEVER, both DVArchive and WiRNS have the ability to change the show download rate such that it become a file download rather than a remote view a show situation. You may like the mechanism in one application more than the other. WiRNS also has an auto regulate capability which may work nicely, however that is more for how busy your Replay is, not for it being on a slower speed or spotty connection. So, playing with each program's setting may let you decide which one can be configured to work better with your wireless setup...

There is no difference between DVArchive downloaded shows and WiRNS downloaded shows. So, if you simply want to add a path in WiRNS to your DVArchive shows, that shouldn't be any problem. However, it could upset DVArchive to have shows magically show up in its directory because WiRNS downloads a show while DVArchive is running. So, through Show Paths you can configure WiRNS to "see" the DVArchive shows (the Guide check boxes), but to download into a different directory for testing (the D/L check boxes)...

If you want your WiRNS Virtual Replay to "see" your 45xx downloaded shows and to serve your 45xx, then you'll want to change your "fake" serial number to RTV45... I think if you simply make that change in the WiRNS configuration page (simply change RTV5516... to RTV4516..., that is, just change the '5' to '4' in that serial number), and also configure the "Secondary Web Port" for the port number that you want WiRNS to use for the Virtual Replay (like setting up Poopli on your 45xx). Then go into the Replays configuration, delete the WiRNS Virtual Replay, and Scan for Replays, I believe it will add a Virtual Replay which has a 4xxx ISN and the port number that you configure for "Secondary Web Port". Then the shows should show up on your 45xxx...

Henry
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy..
WiRNS Security is a good thing You can add local IP's to bypass logins too.

Go to Configuration > WiRNS.

It's the red boxes at the bottom. The Bypass IP's are comma-delimited substrings to look for.

i.e. 192.168.1,192.168.2.5,192.168.5.1

Ryan
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: thanks! I'll try all this out. Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your speedy and helpful responses! I'm always impressed that customer service for these volunteer free replay apps is SO superior to cs for the software from the huge corporations. I'm looking forward to trying out these suggestions later tonight.

Great explanation about the dependence on speed. I remember seeing that as a setting (and, IIRC, wondering about the difference between the stated default and the number that automatically populates). I'll try a slower speed and see how that affects it. Any specific guidance on what number might be suitable?

rrraven
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks! I'll try all this out. Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
Any specific guidance on what number might be suitable?

No idea! However, the default setting in WiRNS is 900 K (something) and my DVArchive configured itself for 375 Kbps, but it says that 300 is recommended! So, I don't know why it decided to configure itself higher than the recommended! You might have to do some searching and reading to find out what that number in WiRNS means, or maybe Ryan will explain it...

You could just try setting them to something lower and see how it works. Like, try 100 in DVArchive, which might possibly correlate to 300 in WiRNS (just guessing). Then, you could try upping it to 200 if it works well, or dropping it to 50 if it doesn't...

Henry
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Transfer Speed Reply with quote

Okay, I changed my transfer speed in WiRNS from 900 to 250, but then I noticed the SmartDownload option, which is also checked. Oh, yes, that's what you were talking about above, saying it is more for adjusting to compensate for a busy replay than a weak network. It says SmartDownload overrides the numerical setting, and if it really isn't taking into account network slowdowns that could be problematic. I'll try with that unchecked and a low transfer rate (250) to give it the best chance of success when I get the rest of the process figured out.

I've got my WiRNs security on now, and all the DVA shows now show up in my "manage WiRNS shows" page - cool! I've followed your recommendation about a separate directory for WiRNS to download in, but use both the WiRNS and DVA directories for guide data. So far only the real replay's shows are visible in my Tools/ReplayGuide, but maybe that requires a restart.

Changed the serial number to 45xx.. Put in the secondary port number (should this be the same port as Poopli is set up to use, or a random different non-80 one? So far I've set it to the same one we have Poopli on, 29000. Now it has a 45xx style ISN associated with it. How fun!

Hmm, after a restart still not seeing anything in the WiRNS Tools/Channel Guide. Pretty good progress though! Time to go downstairs and see if anything looks different from the TV end of things...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Poopli is a website, not a setting. However, if you have your 45xx configured for port 29000 for IVS, then you wouldn't want to use that same port for anything else. The configuration in WiRNS is if you want to use "Poopli" to be able to send shows that you've downloaded to WiRNS. If you want to be able to do that, then configure the WiRNS secondary port with a unique port number and configure your router to port forward that port to WiRNS, just as you had to do to get your 45xx to work with "Poopli". If you don't care to be able to send downloaded shows, then set the secondary port to 0, and delete the WiRNS Virtual Replay and Scan for Replays again to just make it work normally. You'll need to restart WiRNS as part of making those changes...

By the way, I don't know how much you download shows versus sending shows, but if you send a lot of shows then you might want to use WiRNS to monitor your show sends so that you can see the sending progress (like IVSmagic, if you know about that). You can check mark for WiRNS to intercept the port 29000 of your 45xx and you have to change your router to port forward port 29000 to your WiRNS IP address instead of your 45xx's IP address...

As far as seeing the DVArchive shows, make sure that you have the path checked for "Guide" in both the Replay and WiRNS Virtual Replay. If you still can't get it to work, post your WiRNS log showwing it refreshing the guide and we'll go from there...

Henry
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,
Yah, I guess I'm being sloppy with the terms - I think of all IVS transfers as "Poopli", though I understand that's not necessarily true. I only use IVS for poopli sends and requests, so it feels like the same thing to me. I do a fair amount of sends for a 4xxx user, but we're a much smaller group so it's never so many that I have to worry to much about close monitoring. I'm familiar with IVSmagic from the various forums I read, but haven't used it. That additional WiRNS function might be fun to play with once I'm all set up, but not urgent.

Anyway... That makes sense about the ports, and I understand the distinctions. Sounds like another fun thing to add on later once I get the basics working, but to simplify while getting the kinks out I'll skip that for now. So:
Configuration/WiRNS - Secondary Web Port =0
Configuration/WiRNS - Host name =viaWIRNS (to better track)
Configuration/Replays Delete the WiRNS virtual replay

For good measure, since I've stopped DVArchive while working on WiRNS archive setup, I deleted the DVArchive virtual too.
(same screen) -- Scan for replays

The WiRNS virtual is listed, but with a gray dot.
Restart WiRNS
edit: Hmm, I might have misinterpreted - maybe it just picked the "purple" dot, which looks gray on my monitor!

under Configuration/WiRNS show paths:
I also have two paths listed and enabled (and showing green).
For DVA\Local Guide I have Guides checked for both the real 4508 and the virtual viaWiRNS replay.
For the WiRNS path (into which I manually copied the three files from one show, so it wouldn't be completely empty) I have everything checked.

For good measure, Exited the WiRNS service completely (from right-clicking the WiRNS circle icon in the tray).

Start WiRNS service up again, and the monitor.
Scan for Replays again.

viaWiRNS virtual is listed. So is another virtual WiRNS with an older version of the name. Both have the (same) correct IP but the ISN and port are no longer listed. And in Tools/Replay Guide, neither has any shows listed.

As another test, I'm now trying to download one show directly. Looks like it's coming through (log says Downloading) so I'll see if it shows up!

PS While getting everything working, I do have the wired connection, with the cable strung across the house, so any problems encountered aren't do to wireless connectivity issues.
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: The in Configuration WiRNS Show Paths, most of my check boxes have gone away. Now nothing is checked under either of the virtual replays! The real4508 is correct, with Guide checked for the original DVA directory and D/L + Guide checked for the new WiRNS_Download directory.

I think I should re-check the guide boxes, and then get a log of the guide refresh...

rrraven
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rechecked "Guide" boxes for the virtual replay.
Administration - Rebuild ToDo/Replay Guide
(not sure if better to use just "Update Guide"? Rebuild sounded more heavy duty, so I went with that.)

LOG:
9/24/2008 12:49:39] Manually Updating ReplayGuide/ToDo information
[9/24/2008 12:49:39] Processing ReplayGuide Information.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Refreshing Replays.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: MY-OWN-k2(192.168.0.17)
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Recording guide up to date.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Parsed 0/0 entries.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: MY-OWN-viaWiRNS(192.168.0.17)
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Recording guide up to date.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Parsed 0/0 entries.
[9/24/2008 12:49:43] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: Still Living(192.168.0.44)
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Parsed 142/142 entries.
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Refreshing PhotoGuide for: Still Living
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Found 14 files on Still Living
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Refreshing Replays done.
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Refreshing ReplayGuide information.
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for MY-OWN-k2
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for MY-OWN-viaWiRNS
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Added 227 ReplayGuide shows for Still Living
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Added 64 ReplayGuide shows for all
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Refreshing ReplayGuide information done.
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Checking for shows to hide from Poopli.
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Checking for shows to hide from Poopli done.
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Updating ReplayGuide flags.
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Updating ReplayGuide flags done.
[9/24/2008 12:49:53] ReplayGuide data for Still Living successfully uploaded to Poopli.
[9/24/2008 12:49:53] Scheduling JIT Recordings
[9/24/2008 12:49:53] Scheduling JIT Recordings complete
[9/24/2008 12:49:53] Stopping jit logger
[9/24/2008 12:49:54] Checking Manual Recordings.
[9/24/2008 12:49:54] Added 6 Manual Recordings to the database.
[9/24/2008 12:49:54] Processing ToDo Information.
[9/24/2008 12:49:54] Building ToDo List for: Still Living
[9/24/2008 12:49:59] Added 63 ToDo entries for Still Living in 5.203125 seconds.
[9/24/2008 12:49:59] Determining conflicts...
[9/24/2008 12:49:59] Completed conflict determination in 0.1875 seconds.
[9/24/2008 12:49:59] Done.
[9/24/2008 12:49:59] Manual Update of ReplayGuide/ToDo information done
[9/24/2008 12:53:46] [DNS] Using file: C:\Program Files\WiRNS\Plugins\IVSProvider.hosts
[9/24/2008 12:53:46] [DNS] Returning 67.41.76.188 for rddns-production-1.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.44
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the download completed successfully (according to the log) but it doesn't show up in Replay Guide either. The files really did go to the directory, though!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a lot of different info going on here, so I'll try to answer your several posts in this one...

I'm not sure what you mean about "exiting the WiRNS service completely". If you simply chose "exit" from right clicking the tray icon, all you did was exit the tray icon itself, not anything about the WiRNS service...

I'm not sure it's possible, but maybe you somehow got two WiRNS services running? I would check in the Task Controller and see if you have two WiRNSes running...

Scanning for Replays over and over again isn't really useful. Every time it discovers something new, then your show paths are impacted, as you saw...

The color dot for the Replay depends on which order it was discovered. Since you took down DVArchive and deleted its Replay, then the dot color for your Virtual Replay changed. You can edit the Replay to choose the dot color that you like...

ocraven wrote:
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Refreshing ReplayGuide information.
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for MY-OWN-k2
[9/24/2008 12:49:47] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for MY-OWN-viaWiRNS
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Added 227 ReplayGuide shows for Still Living
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Added 64 ReplayGuide shows for all
[9/24/2008 12:49:49] Refreshing ReplayGuide information done.

The 64 shows for "all" is all the shows that it found in all the show paths. So, you can see that WiRNS IS finding all the shows that you have pointed it at. However, the 0 shows for viaWiRNS indicates that the Virtual Replay isn't "seeing" the shows for some reason. Either it's due to the Virtual Replay's model type mismatching the show types (look at the MPEG type in one of the shows in your DVArchive path to see if it is RTV_43 or RTV_50). The other reason could be something misconfigured with your show paths. Sometimes that setup can be quite stubborn. After you make sure that your show types match the Virtual Replay type (MPEG types of RTV_43 for a 4xxx), if you are still having problems, make sure that you have all of the paths checked for Guide in the Show Paths, and then try exporting and importing your Replays to see if that doesn't make the problem go away...

The fact that you downloaded a show and it doesn't show up in the guide makes me think that you have a problem with configuring your Show Paths, however...

I think that's pretty much everything...

Henry

P.S. By the way, have you made sure to update WiRNS to the latest version?
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry,

Yup, I did indeed use Exit, oops! I did it because selecting Restart from the Wirns Button asked me which debugger I wanted to use, and when I decline it just fails. I have now discovered that if I do a second Restart after that, it does indeed start up again. So I guess it's one restart to turn it off and another to turn it back on! Is that typical or perhaps a symptom of my problem? My partner-in-crime (ocraven_d) says it's always (?) done that for him, so he uses stop and start.

I checked the Task Controller and only one instance of WiRNS and one of WiRNSmon are listed.

For seeing shows...
64 shows sounds right for what should be there. So it's finding them part way. Hmm.

I deleted the extra virtual Replay. I've restarted properly now (actually rebooted the whole computer just in case there was some stray process, lol). Now there is only one virtual replay. The basic result is still the same, though: No shows in the virtual replay under WiRNS ReplayGuide but they do all show up under Tools/Manage WiRNS Shows.

Quote:
(look at the MPEG type in one of the shows in your DVArchive path to see if it is RTV_43 or RTV_50).

I'm not sure what you mean by this - how do I look at it? We've only ever had a 45xx, no 5xxx machines ever, so I'd be mighty surprised if they'd become 5xxx type shows. It could still be that my virtual replay isn't sure what kind it is, though. It originally showed up as a 5xxx, and at your suggestion I changed the serial number which did indeed give me a 4xxx style ISN. However, somewhere in the many changes that ISN disappeared (though a 4xxx style serial number remained). I did try putting in a valid but fictitious 4xxx ISN, which didn't help.

Quote:
If you are still having problems, make sure that you have all of the paths checked for Guide in the Show Paths, and then try exporting and importing your Replays to see if that doesn't make the problem go away...

Paths are checked for Guide. Exported. Imported. Status unchanged.
Stopped and started WiRNS. Status unchanged.

Maybe I should try deleting the WiRNS.db?

Thanks for persevering with me!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't run WiRNS as a service, although I have worked on the restart code somewhat recently and believe it works pretty well, now. However, as far as a service goes, personally I would ALWAY stop and start a service. Since I run WiRNS as an application, I use Restart WiRNS Server when I do something simple, like change a port number which requires WiRNS restarting. I have tested that after the changes I made that it works well. However, I'm not sure what gets executed when it is running as a service, and I could have a look at it some time...

Hmmm... If you only have one instance of WiRNS running, I wonder how it discovered two servers running at the same IP address, one having your older host name? However, since you've rebooted, if you wanted to, you could try Scanning for Replays and it should say that no new Replays are discovered and leave your configuration alone...

You check the DVArchive MPEG type by looking at the corresponding XML file. You will see an XML tag for that value which should say RTV_43 for a 4xxx show. I just want to make sure everything is kosher before making a bunch of other assumptions...

You can try deleting the WiRNS.db if you want to. I doubt it will make any difference, but it wouldn't be any great loss at this point, either...

You can search through several threads on this problem. Most have to do with getting the Virtual Replay's serial number to match the show MPEG type. However, I have fixed some thing recently, although I don't recall what problems they were having. Someone else was having problems with 0 shows recenlty and I fixed something in WiRNS, but I don't remember if it took care of his problem or what the resolution was. So, you might find some more things to try by searching this forum...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
Yup, I did indeed use Exit, oops! I did it because selecting Restart from the Wirns Button asked me which debugger I wanted to use, and when I decline it just fails. I have now discovered that if I do a second Restart after that, it does indeed start up again. So I guess it's one restart to turn it off and another to turn it back on! Is that typical or perhaps a symptom of my problem? My partner-in-crime (ocraven_d) says it's always (?) done that for him, so he uses stop and start.

OK, I just tried this and it did pretty much as you described. But, that Restart choice doesn't invoke a Restart WiRNS Server, it seems to restart the service itself. And, for whatever reason, it does get some kind of error and wants to debug it. So, maybe just using Stop and Start would be best, or you can use Administration->Restart WiRNS Server...

Henry
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

OK, I just tried this [using restart from within the WiRNS service button] and it did pretty much as you described. But, that Restart choice doesn't invoke a Restart WiRNS Server, it seems to restart the service itself. And, for whatever reason, it does get some kind of error and wants to debug it. So, maybe just using Stop and Start would be best, or you can use Administration->Restart WiRNS Server...

Henry

Okay, that's all fine then. Easy enough to use the other methods of restarting, so long as we've confirmed the error isn't a sign there's something wrong with my setup that might be causing my other problem.
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Hmmm... If you only have one instance of WiRNS running, I wonder how it discovered two servers running at the same IP address, one having your older host name? However, since you've rebooted, if you wanted to, you could try Scanning for Replays and it should say that no new Replays are discovered and leave your configuration alone...nry

Yup, I'm consistently getting just the new WiRNS virtual now so I may well have gotten the other(s) by starting WiRNS in multiple ways when I was having trouble with the restart, and somehow left fragments. Let's consider that one "solved".

hdonzis wrote:

You check the DVArchive MPEG type by looking at the corresponding XML file. You will see an XML tag for that value which should say RTV_43 for a 4xxx show. I just want to make sure everything is kosher before making a bunch of other assumptions...

Ah, yes, thanks. It says
MEDIA_TYPE="MPEG_RTV43"
so that's all good.

hdonzis wrote:

You can try deleting the WiRNS.db if you want to. I doubt it will make any difference, but it wouldn't be any great loss at this point, either...

You can search through several threads on this problem. Most have to do with getting the Virtual Replay's serial number to match the show MPEG type. However, I have fixed some thing recently, although I don't recall what problems they were having. Someone else was having problems with 0 shows recenlty and I fixed something in WiRNS, but I don't remember if it took care of his problem or what the resolution was. So, you might find some more things to try by searching this forum...

Henry

Okay, thanks Henry, I'll look through again now that we've at least narrowed it down some and cleaned up my extraneous confustions. I think that may well be it, since while I do have the RTV4516A5AA4628127 serial number (under configuration/WiRNS), there is no longer a fictional ISN to go with it (00055-09166-xxxxx) under configuration/ Replays. I think I'm gonna try putting in my own fictional ones again (through Configuration/Replays/Edit), though at some point this had been filled with something WiRNS generated.
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: a related thread Reply with quote

I did find another thread that is exactly my situation: Can't serve any shows with WIRNS 2.0

http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14598

but it seems to dwindle out at the same point, with no resolution. It does mention the secondary web port, which I had entered at one point but then when I learned (I think!) that it's only necessary for more advance IVS tracking, and requires setting an additional port-forward on the router, I disabled it again (set to 0), thinking to save that adventure for later. Is that an avenue I should re-visit?

rrraven
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: a related thread Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
It does mention the secondary web port, which I had entered at one point but then when I learned (I think!) that it's only necessary for more advance IVS tracking, and requires setting an additional port-forward on the router, I disabled it again (set to 0), thinking to save that adventure for later. Is that an avenue I should re-visit?

rrraven

I did go ahead with this, and it's definitely related! After adding a new secondary web port (29290), restart WiRNS, delete the virtual, scan for replays, recheck boxes in paths (it's all starting to feel familiar now!), the new virtual WiRNS replay does have an ISN generated! It's a 4xxx mutant, though. It came up with 00055-33147-53835, and 4xxx ISNs always start 00055-09166 or 00055-09167.

I also set up the port forwarding on my router (TCP service type? That's what I used since that's what I have for Poopli on 29000)

Last edited by ocraven on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
I think that may well be it, since while I do have the RTV4516A5AA4628127 serial number (under configuration/WiRNS), there is no longer a fictional ISN to go with it (00055-09166-xxxxx) under configuration/ Replays. I think I'm gonna try putting in my own fictional ones again (through Configuration/Replays/Edit), though at some point this had been filled with something WiRNS generated.

The fictional ISN is only generated when you have the secondary port number configured. As I thought I explained, setting that back to zero, deleting the Virtual Replay and rescanning for it, the ISN SHOULD go away...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: a related thread Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
I did find another thread that is exactly my situation: Can't serve any shows with WIRNS 2.0

http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14598

but it seems to dwindle out at the same point, with no resolution. It does mention the secondary web port, which I had entered at one point but then when I learned (I think!) that it's only necessary for more advance IVS tracking, and requires setting an additional port-forward on the router, I disabled it again (set to 0), thinking to save that adventure for later. Is that an avenue I should re-visit?

rrraven

It's NOT for IVS tracking, it's for if you want to be able to send shows from your WiRNS Virtual Replay. So, you would download shows from your 45xx to WiRNS and then you could still send someone the downloaded show...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: a related thread Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
After adding a new secondary web port (29290), restart WiRNS, delete the virtual, scan for replays, recheck boxes in paths (it's all starting to feel familiar now!), the new virtual WiRNS replay does have an ISN generated! It's a 4xxx mutant, though. I came up with 00055-33147-53835, and 4xxx ISNs always start 00055-09166 or 00055-09167.

I also set up the port forwarding on my router (TCP service type? That's what I used since that's what I have for Poopli on 29000)

Yep, if you have it configured with a 45xx serial number, then you'd certainly want it to have a 45xx ISN!

You don't need to setup the port forward at this point. That is only necessary when you want to be able to send shows from the WiRNS Virtual Replay. You'll also need to publish your Virtual Replay's ISN under the IVS configuration. But, all of this has nothing to do with the problem at hand. Show sharing has nothing to do with configuring the WiRNS Virtual Replay other than to set it as the same model type as your other Replays...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to let you know that I'm looking into your problem. It is very easy for me to simply change my WiRNS serial number to simulate your problem and to reproduce what you have seen...

First of all, I found that it makes a BIG difference if you change your WiRNS serial number to RTV40... instead of RTV45... That at least will make it as a Replay 4xxx model. Using RTV45... makes it into an original version 5000 model running OS 4.5, which isn't very useful...

So, I have fixed several things, but I haven't gotten to the root of the problem, yet. You can certainly try changing your serial number, deleting the Virtual Replay, and scanning for new Replays to get it configured as a Replay 4xxx model. However, I don't think that it will discover any shows any better that way...

Hopefully I will be able to figure out what is going wrong over the weekend and take care of it. I think from all of the other posts that the root of this problem was never discovered. I'm not sure how many users there are using Replay 4xxx's with WiRNS, and since none of the developers have a Replay 4xxx, there isn't a lot of testing and support for that model. Although, I thought that there are SOME users out there using it with Replay 4xxx's, but maybe they don't use the Virtual Replay or download shows or whatever...

The good news is that I can simply change my own WiRNS serial number to at least test getting the WiRNS Virtual Replay to work properly showing the shows in the ReplayGuide. So, even though I don't have any Replay 4xxx's to test how ti serves shows, I think that will be good enough!

OH! And, I think if you change your WiRNS serial number to RTV40... that you will get a plesant surprise that WiRNS should at least serve shows to your networked 4xxx's. So, making that change and reconfiguring the WiRNS Virtual Replay should at least make your networked 4xxx's show shows on the WiRNS guide...

Henry
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Regarding Serial Numbers Reply with quote

Interesting that RTV45's make it a 5xxx running 4.5 software, I sure wouldn't have guessed that!

Okay, let's try your suggestion... I've put that in,

deleted the old WiRNS virtual replay,

scanned for replays,

fixed paths... and...

YYYYOOWOOWWWWWZZZAAAA!!!! YOU DID IT!!! YOU DID IT!!! THERE THEY ALL ARE!!! All the downloaded shows now are showing up in the WiRNS ReplayGuide

Woohoo!!

nod nod

We are really close now. The guide on WiRNS looks perfect. The generated ISN still has the illegal second set of digits, don't know if that matters. BUT, the shows still aren't showing up on the real ReplayTV. I suspect they just need to "talk" so the replay realizes something changed? Is there a way to trigger that manually? I tried rebuild ReplayGuide and NetConnect, but the shows we've now successfully gotten to show up in the WiRNS ReplayGuide are still not appearing on my genuine Replay's ReplayGuide.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and patience in this!
rrraven
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: a related thread Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

It's NOT for IVS tracking, it's for if you want to be able to send shows from your WiRNS Virtual Replay. So, you would download shows from your 45xx to WiRNS and then you could still send someone the downloaded show...

Henry

Yup, sorry, I was collapsing over two IVS functions that I'd classified as "fun but not urgent". You're right, you explained this clearly before, I just grabbed the wrong function out of my memory.

-rrraven
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding Serial Numbers Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
Interesting that RTV45's make it a 5xxx running 4.5 software, I sure wouldn't have guessed that!

Well, DVArchive handles this all differently to the user by simply showing menus with 4.3, 4.5, and 5.0, like the user would have any idea what that means. I think that WiRNS was trying to make this much easier on the user, but it was using RTV40..., RTV45..., and RTV5... as serial numbers to designate the same idea. However, obviously that doesn't make sense! I recently changed the show edit page to show the MPEG format similarly to DVArchive, because, quite honestly, that seemed the simplest to me. I guess it could say something very long like "ReplayTV 4xxx w/ OS 4.3", "ReplayTV 50xxx w/ OS 4.5", and "ReplayTV 5xxx w/ OS 5.0", but seems a bit much. And, what's funny is that the 4000 originally came with OS 4.1, but nothing supports that any longer because 4.3 has been out so long. I don't know why anything supports version 4.5 since 5.0 has been out so long and I don't know how you would find a 50xx running OS 4.5. So, it really could be simplified BOTH in DVArchive and WiRNS by simply choosing between RTV4K or RTV5K...

ocraven wrote:
The generated ISN still has the illegal second set of digits, don't know if that matters.

"illegal"? What's illegal about it? Only the first set of digits is the Replay type. The rest is the serial number, which can go from 00000-00000 to 99999-99999. Just because Sonic Blue only manufactured a subset of that range doesn't make using any numbers in that range "illegal"! Since Sonic Blue was prepared to manufacture as many units as possible, that makes all of the values LEGAL!

ocraven wrote:
BUT, the shows still aren't showing up on the real ReplayTV.

Well, that's completely backwards from my tests! I couldn't get the shows to show up in the WiRNS guide, but it looked like they should be showing up on the ReplayTV's just fine. Although, since I don't have any RTV4K's to test with, I couldn't tell for sure...

But, the good news is that I think I've finished fixing the whole thing! I just need to get someone to post an update to see if it takes care of everything for you. What you might try in the mean time is to delete all your "guide.*.dat" files and all your "*.guide" files and try again. The last problem I found had to do with trying to overwrite those files, so that might get you going a little farther until the update gets posted...

Henry
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding Serial Numbers Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

ocraven wrote:
The generated ISN still has the illegal second set of digits, don't know if that matters.

"illegal"? What's illegal about it? Only the first set of digits is the Replay type. The rest is the serial number, which can go from 00000-00000 to 99999-99999. Just because Sonic Blue only manufactured a subset of that range doesn't make using any numbers in that range "illegal"! Since Sonic Blue was prepared to manufacture as many units as possible, that makes all of the values LEGAL!

LOL, okay, perhaps they are not "illegal" - but they never occur for real Replay45xx units. Sometimes it's hard to know which anomalies are of consequence and which just don't ever matter.

hdonzis wrote:

ocraven wrote:

Well, that's completely backwards from my tests! I couldn't get the shows to show up in the WiRNS guide, but it looked like they should be showing up on the ReplayTV's just fine. Although, since I don't have any RTV4K's to test with, I couldn't tell for sure...

One of the people I trade shows with recently offered me a spare 45xx unit he has for a nice low price -- if it would help, I'd be more than happy to buy it and have it sent to you! It's a monthly unit, though, so probably that wouldn't really be as helpful?

hdonzis wrote:

But, the good news is that I think I've finished fixing the whole thing!

Yee-haw!!

hdonzis wrote:

I just need to get someone to post an update to see if it takes care of everything for you. What you might try in the mean time is to delete all your "guide.*.dat" files and all your "*.guide" files and try again. The last problem I found had to do with trying to overwrite those files, so that might get you going a little farther until the update gets posted...

Henry

Sure, I'll give it a try!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding Serial Numbers Reply with quote

ocraven wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

ocraven wrote:

LOL, okay, perhaps they are not "illegal" - but they never occur for real Replay45xx units. Sometimes it's hard to know which anomalies are of consequence and which just don't ever matter.

Well, there you go again! Using that word "real" Replay 4xxx units! Your conclusion is by observation, although it is certainly likely to be true. However, there isn't any evidence that Sonic Blue ever cared about the range of the second and third sets of digits...

hdonzis wrote:

ocraven wrote:
ocraven wrote:

One of the people I trade shows with recently offered me a spare 45xx unit he has for a nice low price -- if it would help, I'd be more than happy to buy it and have it sent to you! It's a monthly unit, though, so probably that wouldn't really be as helpful?

Well, since I'm not even willing to pay the small annual fee for an SD account so I can test with that, it's not likely that I would want to pay the low price of $6.99 to be able do to testing for the 4K users out there since I'm not one myself. It would be kind of nice, but since it couldn't share shows with any of my 5K's, it seems fairly pointless. However, if someone wanted to send me a 4000 for free, I would certainly be willing to accept it to test with. I recall Bob Hairston saying that he was going to get a 4K so he could support IVSmagic with the 4K's, but nothing much ever became of that, either. I certainly wouldn't want to be put on the "hook" because I accepted a 4K and then was expected to fix everything about WiRNS that didn't work well with a 4K! paranoid

But, thanks for the offer! Hopefully if there are still problems you will be able to run experiments for me. I was able to get extract_rtv5 to work completely with 2K's and 3K's just by having other people run experiments for me, so hopefully we can do the same thing with WiRNS...

ocraven wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

I just need to get someone to post an update to see if it takes care of everything for you. What you might try in the mean time is to delete all your "guide.*.dat" files and all your "*.guide" files and try again. The last problem I found had to do with trying to overwrite those files, so that might get you going a little farther until the update gets posted...

Sure, I'll give it a try!

Be sure and let me know. I don't know if anyone else is "home" to make an update, but I'll be sure and let you know as soon as one gets posted...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocraven
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I deleted those files (or actually, moved them to a different directory).
There was quite a collection. RTV4508 (real one), 4016 (current virtual) and 4516 and even 5516.

For good measure I restarted WiRNS and deleted the virtual and re-scanned for it. No obvious effects - shows still show up (YAY!) in WiRNS but not back on teh real Replay.
\\\\\

The replay and WiRNS did "talk " before that -- I changed the virtual replay's name and after a while the new name appeared in the list of replays (on the replay).

-- rrraven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: