Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual Recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neumannu47
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Manual Recording Reply with quote

Is a LaHo subscription necessary to manually record on a 5040? I just went through the steps to set up LaHo for the seven-day trial, and everything works well. The problem is, there are no analog channels on my cable system. The only way I can record is to preset the digital adapter to the channel I want and record on Channel 3 through the coax.

I assume that there is no way to control the Time Warner Cisco digital adapter with IR codes.

You guys are amazing.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I doubt you'll be able to manually record long without being authorized in some way, which LaHo won't do if you don't have a subscription. As soon as the authorization runs out, which might be something like a couple of weeks, ithe 5K will become a doorstop that you can only play your existing recordings. I don't know, it's possible that you'll be able to still make manual recordings. I know that ReplayTV made this statement back in 2011 that you'd be able to make manual recordings, but the consensus was that they hadn't really thought it out, that 4Ks and 5Ks would become useless...

As far as the TWC DTA goes, I'm running 3 of them using the code that Frank posted somewhere on this bulletin board, and using Gary Gray's TiVo to Comcast DTA cable. I've been totally happy with the setup for several years now. I've posted my satisfaction with the whole setup many times...

Henry

*UPDATE* Here's the topic I was talking about with the IR Blaster code: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16462...
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Recording Reply with quote

neumannu47 wrote:
Is a LaHo subscription necessary to manually record on a 5040? I just went through the steps to set up LaHo for the seven-day trial, and everything works well. The problem is, there are no analog channels on my cable system. The only way I can record is to preset the digital adapter to the channel I want and record on Channel 3 through the coax.

I assume that there is no way to control the Time Warner Cisco digital adapter with IR codes.

You guys are amazing.

How were you using your ReplayTV when ReplayTV provided the guide? Did you use an IR blaster? I'm pretty sure those same codes and even some additional ones should be on LaHo.

One problem with manual recording (I don't think this changed in later versions) is a manual record is always called "manual record on...." A ReplayGuide full of those will get very confusing.

LaHo has no plans to stop our Goodwill program. We will continue to activate unints and set your clock without a subscription.

I'm also pretty sure your unit is already activated forever. We don't set an expiration on your device, just our guide data. That would be wrong.
neumannu47
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Recording Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:

How were you using your ReplayTV when ReplayTV provided the guide? Did you use an IR blaster? I'm pretty sure those same codes and even some additional ones should be on LaHo.

Until last month, analog channels were available from my cable company. They are no longer available. It's DTA, DVR, or nothing.

Quote:
One problem with manual recording (I don't think this changed in later versions) is a manual record is always called "manual record on...." A ReplayGuide full of those will get very confusing.

I really only record a couple of shows on this box, so it's not a major inconvenience, but if I can get the IR to work with the DTA, life is good again.

Quote:
LaHo has no plans to stop our Goodwill program. We will continue to activate units and set your clock without a subscription.

I'm probably going to buy a subscription either way to support you guys, at least for a while.

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure your unit is already activated forever. We don't set an expiration on your device, just our guide data. That would be wrong.

Activated by LaHo forever? It was lifetime activated by DNNA. I don't know if that's what you're saying.
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Recording Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
...One problem with manual recording (I don't think this changed in later versions) is a manual record is always called "manual record on...." A ReplayGuide full of those will get very confusing...

After you create the Manual Record, you can immediately rename the Channel to the actual name, such as "Blue Bloods". When recording, the Shows will be titled "Recorded Fri 07/14", "Recorded Fri 07/21", etc...

Not too difficult to follow...

Last edited by TakeTheActive on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Well, I doubt you'll be able to manually record long without being authorized in some way, which LaHo won't do if you don't have a subscription.

I double checked, and LaHo DOES activate unsubscribed units (which is pretty clear if you read the "good will" instructions, that it changes the MyReplayTV wording)!

So, it seems like a person could use the LaHo "good will" project to continue to make manual recordings!

And, to be clearer about some of the other responses, the "good will" activation does not set an expiration, keeping it lifetime. However, the expiration is only enforced in the absence of net connecting. Again, a networked version ReplayTV MUST net connect with some frequency in order to remain activate, regardless of its subscription status (lifetime or monthly). The only thing that setting an expiration does is deactivate the unit sooner in the absence of net connecting. So, if you knew that your subscription was going to run out, you can't just disconnect from the network to keep using it, it will still stop operating on your subscription expiration date. And, having a lifetime subscription just means that the ReplayTV won't deactivate early in the absence of net connecting. You still can't use a lifetime subscription image to make lifetime activated units. A net connect which continues to activate the unit is required to keep the unit usable...

Basically, DNNA was very careful about their subscription-based networked units. They made sure that you can't trick them into being activated. They protected the time set mechanism so that you can't trick the ReplayTV into being earlier in time so as to keep it activated, and they require frequent activations from net connecting, as well as setting an expiration date to cause the unit to deactivate at the appropriate time even if it is not net connecting...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Recording Reply with quote

neumannu47 wrote:

Until last month, analog channels were available from my cable company. They are no longer available. It's DTA, DVR, or nothing.

Gotcha, so this isn't related to the ReplayTV shutdown. I would try the DTA and IR blaster... many folks live well with that setup. Be sure to tape the IR blaster to the sensor of the DTR and cover it with electrical tape to keep other IR sources out. Search around (maybe on AVS) for DTA's known to work on your cable company and ReplayTV.

WIth the renaming available in later versions of the software (I only used a 2000/3000), you should be able to live with the manual recording and a static DTA channel. LaHo would continue to keep your unit active with the correct time under "goodwill". Rock on!

Of course you're welcome to subscribe as well.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Recording Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
neumannu47 wrote:

Gotcha, so this isn't related to the ReplayTV shutdown. I would try the DTA and IR blaster... many folks live well with that setup. Be sure to tape the IR blaster to the sensor of the DTR and cover it with electrical tape to keep other IR sources out. Search around (maybe on AVS) for DTA's known to work on your cable company and ReplayTV.

I'm going to be running into the same problem in my area, but I already have three DTA's due to channels that they moved from analog to digital that I wanted to record, and because I really like the fact that the DTA recordings are such much better quality and in letter box. So, I'll just be adding more DTA'ss to take care of the rest of my RTVs...

However, what I wanted to point out was that I highly recommend using Gary Gray's TiVo to Comcast cable on ebay (I have linked it several times). If you want a bunch of them, just send him a message and tell him "Henry sent you", and he'll likely make you a quantity discount deal. I have bought quite a few of them and have recommended them to everyone I know. It is a much more reliable way to go than using the IR Blaster and having to be so careful with how you install it. If you watch the video on the LaHo "good will" topic about getting the Comcast DTA codes installed, you'll see how much trouble that user went to in order to get the IR Blaster to operate properly. So, skip all the muss and fuss, and just get a Gary Grey's cable! nod

Henry

*UPDATE* I wanted to do you the favor of linking you to the cable, which I found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-to-Comcast-DTA-Cable-/220627222273, but it looks like he's quit selling them. I would go ahead and contact him and see if he has any more or can make you one, I definitely recommend his cable. If not, jus search for "TiVo Comcast cable" and you'll find some others that make the same cable. I liked Gary's the best because he posted about making it, I think on AVSForum, and he's been really nice to me purchasing them, and I've had absolutely no problems with them at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: