Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting messages saying can't connect to server.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Getting messages saying can't connect to server. Reply with quote

My one machine has gotten messages the last two days saying that it can not connect to server, tried to connect by the set up menu but got the same message would count down and then say can't connect to server.
Went to second machine, no messages and guide goes to 8/20, went to menu and clicked on connect to replay and it did and the guide added two days to 8/22.
Check network setting and nothing has changed. Any idea why I can't connect?
Pay Pal sent me a message that you had been paid on Aug 5th and if the other machine connect then I guess you have the payment.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 5040 unit last successfully net connected on 8/5. Since then it has been connecting just to dump its syslog, but nothing else...

Exactly what happens when you attempt a manual net connect?

Henry
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Your 5040 unit last successfully net connected on 8/5. Since then it has been connecting just to dump its syslog, but nothing else...

Exactly what happens when you attempt a manual net connect?

Henry

When I try to do a manual net connect it says that it will connect and starts the countdown and after it hits 0 it right away say that it can not connect to the server and will try again later.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking about your 504 unit, correct?

I don't know how it got stuck in this mode, but I'm thinking that soft rebooting it (holding the power button for 10 seconds) might be a good start...

Henry
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's the 5040, I tried the soft reboot and it did not work so I unplugged it for one min. and now it connected and updated the guide.
Thanks for your help.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it did net connect normally, but then about 15 minutes later it dumped its syslog again. I'm worried that it is going to go back to not performing a full net connect, but I guess we'll see...

Henry
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went and tried net connect and it is loading right now, will let you know if it goes all the way. Completed download but I guess I will have to wait and see if it keeps updating.
Any idea why it dumping its sylog, am I right thinking that that stands for system log?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greysquirrel34 wrote:
Just went and tried net connect and it is loading right now, will let you know if it goes all the way. Completed download but I guess I will have to wait and see if it keeps updating.

Yeah, it finished a complete net connect with no problem...

Greysquirrel34 wrote:
Any idea why it dumping its sylog, am I right thinking that that stands for system log?

Well, it's suppose to dump its syslog as part of the net connect: http://www.wirns.com/twiki/RnsProtocol step 8. And, your unit is doing that during the net connect. But, then it is also independently just dumping its syslog out of the blue for no apparent reason, and I have no idea why it's doing that. As far as I can tell, the normal syslog dump during the net connect is completing just fine, so I don't know why it thinks it needs to do that part again...

Henry
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe I will have to unplug it a re power it up each time I need to connect. Anyhow thanks for your input really appreciate it.
This machine is 14 years old, I'm pretty sure so maybe it't just tired and worn out like me.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greysquirrel34 wrote:
I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe I will have to unplug it a re power it up each time I need to connect. Anyhow thanks for your input really appreciate it.
This machine is 14 years old, I'm pretty sure so maybe it't just tired and worn out like me.

LOL! Well if it happens again I might want to look into it. It's just that we have to coordinate my looking at it while you are doing things from your end. But, hopefully it will just go away...

I don't see a trailing syslog dump after your last net connect. Maybe you just had so much log to send that it wasn't satisfied with one time? But, since I've never seen anything like this before, it'll have to just be something that we'll keep an eye on...

Henry
tarl_cabot
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Same issue...odd Reply with quote

Sent to our PERC folks, but thought FORUM posting would be useful. When I looked here and saw someone with the same problem, I thought a)misery loves company and b)troubleshooting an anomalous issue is easier with more data.

Here's the issue:

I have 3 Replays connected to the PERC DATA service, and all 3 connected up and downloaded the Guide Data just fine when first set up. However, one unit, now, can't seem to connect, and I'm completely confused.

They are all different models and have slight connection differences, but, as I mentioned, they all connected up and were working just fine when I first fired up PERC. Now one isn't.

The unit w/SN: RTV5508xxxxxxxxx35 is, of course, a Model 5508. I noticed on a program search that it didn't seem to go very long (completed before checking 14 days), and when I checked the status messages, I saw that it has been failing about every other day for "Server Could Not Be Found" (????). I don't know why it only reports failures every other day since it hasn't connected any day since 7/28.

I tried doing a Net Connect (243-Zones), and it will show 'connecting' for >5min, and then just fail for 'unable to connect to server'.
I tried going to the Setup and connecting to Replay Service. Similar results. Times out and cannot connect to server.
I tried changing the ZIP and the same, fails to connect to server.

All 'net settings on all 3 machines (except for the specifics regarding the STB they are connecting with) are the same. They have unique IPs, the same as before the Guide went belly up. Same for subnet mask. The server they are all pointing to is 207.58.129.219. Two of 3 have no issues.

Any idea why my RTV 5504 and RTV 5040 are working like champs with the PERC system, but this one 5508 can't 'see' the server anymore?

Suggestions??

I've done the lean on the power button thing to reboot. It didn't change the end result.
I removed and re-plugged the ethernet connecting to it (fed from same hub as the 5040); no change.
I haven't tried pulling the power plug yet...but that's a potential next option...

What should I try next?
Any idea why this one is being the odd man out and being unable to 'see' the server??

David.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Same issue...odd Reply with quote

tarl_cabot wrote:
The unit w/SN: RTV5508xxxxxxxxx35 is, of course, a Model 5508. I noticed on a program search that it didn't seem to go very long (completed before checking 14 days), and when I checked the status messages, I saw that it has been failing about every other day for "Server Could Not Be Found" (????). I don't know why it only reports failures every other day since it hasn't connected any day since 7/28.

Some times I get lucky and can find your account on Perc. But, I found your 5508 serial number, and the LaHo records go back to 7/25, and I don't see any signs of that particular unit all the way back to then...

I see that your Perc account shows that the unit last connected on 7/29, however, versus that the other two units show that they have connected on 8/10, today...

The fact that I see nothing at all has me wondering that the serial number in your Perc account is incorrect. I am searching the LaHo history using that serial number, but if it was incorrect, that would explain why I can't find anything with that serial number. So, I would start with double checking the account number in Perc against the unit's System Information...

But, I also don't see any history of any unit starting with RTV5508 and ending with 35 either. I would think that if you had the serial number incorrect in the middle, that it would at least be connecting using the "good will" program, which would mean that it wouldn't get any guide data. The fact that I see nothing at all seems very suspicious...

So, I would start with going through the network settings again, try changing them, like change to automated and then back to manual. Even if the serial number is incorrect in your Perc account, you should be able to configure your unit for manual networking with the Perc setup information...

So, check your account information and try changing your network settings and see what happens...

Henry
tarl_cabot
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Same issue...odd Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

The fact that I see nothing at all has me wondering that the serial number in your Perc account is incorrect. I am searching the LaHo history using that serial number, but if it was incorrect, that would explain why I can't find anything with that serial number. So, I would start with double checking the account number in Perc against the unit's System Information...

But, I also don't see any history of any unit starting with RTV5508 and ending with 35 either. I would think that if you had the serial number incorrect in the middle, that it would at least be connecting using the "good will" program, which would mean that it wouldn't get any guide data. The fact that I see nothing at all seems very suspicious...

So, I would start with going through the network settings again, try changing them, like change to automated and then back to manual. Even if the serial number is incorrect in your Perc account, you should be able to configure your unit for manual networking with the Perc setup information...

So, check your account information and try changing your network settings and see what happens...

Henry

=========

Hey Henry,

I double checked the SN. It's rock on. The one listed in my PercData details matches the one on the device. A 5508 ending in 935 (and the numbers in the middle are right too ). I'm not a fan of posting uniquely identifying data in a public forum....

So I tried your suggestion, and toggled the Manual connect back to Automatic.
The unit failed to connect to the MY access point. That was odd. Started doing some cable tracing, and while nothing seemed wrong, I swapped cables between the two devices connected to the same repeater and did another auto connect on the 5508. This time it connected to my AP. Next I loaded the PercData info again (since it doesn't keep the info when you toggle Man/Auto) and did a connection....
happy happy it connected and downloaded the Guide data.
Good thing because by now my channel guide data was blank

To close the loop, I went to the other Replay (a 5040) which was now connected to my repeater on the previously suspect ethernet cable. Did a net connect, and it worked fine. Odd.

So all I can figure is at some point I must not have gotten the ethernet cable fully re-instered into the back of my 5508, and it worked it's way loose due to gravity. I know, unlikely, but since no one goes behind the units, and it looks like it was just a connectivity thing...that's my theory.

All 3 units are now showing connection success. I hope your view of the PercData connections is in sync with what I'm seeing now, and you can see the 5508 (ending with 935) connecting to the server.

David.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Same issue...odd Reply with quote

tarl_cabot wrote:
I double checked the SN. It's rock on. The one listed in my PercData details matches the one on the device. A 5508 ending in 935 (and the numbers in the middle are right too ). I'm not a fan of posting uniquely identifying data in a public forum....

Yeah, it seemed unlikely, and I don't have a problem with you not posting it, it just meant that I couldn't tell for sure if it was your end or my end. However, I'm glad that you determined that it was a network problem, which is what I was suspicious of...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: