Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaHo Good Will -- free activation / clock set / IR Codes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooseplus wrote:
PS. Feel free to use my Perc LaHo setup video in any way you like. Download, embed, whatever. I just made it to help others who learn better with visuals.

Thanks, Matthew, I already linked it in the top post with the instructions!

However, since you linked it here as well, I'll also copy my comments here as well to make sure that others will see them in this post as well:

You kind of stopped on the "MyReplayTV Registration" selection, but you didn't actually select it. In order to verify the connection to LaHo, you need to select "MyReplayTV Registration" to see that it says that it connected to LaHo (although, the fact that it downloaded new Zone 11 data was a pretty good sign).

In order to select the Comcast DTA, you should have selected Comcast in the list of Boxes (which you scrolled right by) instead of Pace. Because code 1982 is in the Comcast group, you had to select Other in the Pace group, which took you to the entire list of all the IR Blaster codes for you to select code 1982 from. You could have selected Other from any Box type, not just Pace, to get to the entire list of IR Blaster codes, so it really didn't matter that you selected Pace in particular. However, if you had selected Comcast, then you would have had the further choice of code 1982, which says Model: DTA...

Thanks again for making the video, which I'm sure will help out a lot of RTV users!

Henry
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the service still operational? I've been attempting to update my Replay 5040 for a few days now, and so far it has yet to download anything for Zone 11, and I don't have the 1982 code option. The registration info under MyReplayTV Registration has not changed either.

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread, including swapping out my router, to no avail.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's still running just fine...

Are you properly changing your RTV's network settings to manual and setting the proper DNS addresses?

Did you watch the video and make sure you followed it except for the corrections I posted right above your post (at the top of this page)?

Henry
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using the "207.58.129.219" IP for both DNS servers, and I do not see "Comcast" listed in the device lineup under Digital Cable boxes. I have not seen the connection process stop on Zone 11/15 for more than few seconds, and I see no reference to LaHo under the "MyReplayTV Registration" menu option.

Last night I cleared the channel guide 3x and then manually restarted the unit (even though it reboots after a guide clear), confirmed that the new DNS servers were set and kicked off a manual net connect, with the same results I've seen so far. I then tried clearing the guide again, running a net connect against the DNNA server to re-populate the guide, and then changing the DNS to LaHo's before running several net connects, all with the same results.

Thank you for confirming that the service is still being offered. I'm obviously doing something wrong and will continue to attempt to download the updated IR codes. The only thing I can think of that I have yet to try is restoring the factory defaults using 382-zones and starting over.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any unsubscribed units attempting to connect to LaHo. After you change your DNS settings, go into System Information and look at the Ethernet info and make sure it shows the correct DNS address...

If you want to make sure things are working correctly on your network, you can use nslookup in a command prompt and enter "server 207.58.129.219" and then enter "production.replaytv.net" and make sure it returns something different than ReplayTV's 64.124.73.105, 64.124.80.9...

By the way, you WON'T see Comcast in the list of Digital Cable Boxes, there are only two hard coded boxes in that list. You have to select Other (as I documented in the first paragraph of my very first post), and then you should find Comcast in the very long list of Cable Boxes...

Henry
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's extremely interesting (the fact that you don't see any unregistered units attempting to connect recently). I've run several attempts in the past few minutes while I was updating this thread.

Yes, I've confirmed that my device has the correct DNS servers. I just tried entering it with triple-digit octets in fact, (058 instead of 5 on the off chance that it didn't like having less than 3 digits in each.

I just tried your nslookup suggestion. The revealing results are below:

Default Server: cdns01.comcast.net
Address: 75.75.75.75

> server 207.58.129.219
Default Server: percdata.com
Address: 207.58.129.219

> production.replaytv.net
Server: percdata.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: production.replaytv.net
Addresses: 64.124.73.105

Obviously the entry is being cached somewhere. Last night, I removed my router and directly connected my replay to my comcast modem, and restarted both devices. Apparently, that too wasn't enough to clear the cache. It must be cached on the modem somehow. I'm going to drop offline for a bit as I try to do a hard reset on it.

Thank you for your assistance; giving me the IP's I *don"t* want to see pointed me in the right direction...
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please give me the IPs that production.replaytv.net *should* resolve to (for LaHo)? I have my own dns server, and I'm going to try creating a record for it and pointing the replaytv to my dns's IP. Resetting the comcast modem resulted in switching the order of addresses that nslookup reports as production.replaytv.net, but it's still resolving to the same addresses I get with either comcast's or public dns servers.

Thank you.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhal2k wrote:

> production.replaytv.net
Server: percdata.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: production.replaytv.net
Addresses: 64.124.73.105

Wow... Sir, what you have there is a clear case of DNS Hijacking! Comcast is intercepting the DNS request and routing it to their own server, even though you are requesting a different DNS server.

What you'll need to do is set up a DNS server on your local network for ReplayTV.NET and point production.replaytv.net to *REDACTED, ASK IF YOU NEED IT*.

If Henry thinks you need the full zone file, I can send that to you.

You can also call Comcast and see if you can opt-out of DNS hijacking.

Robert

Last edited by rmeden on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhal2k wrote:
Can you please give me the IPs that production.replaytv.net *should* resolve to (for LaHo)? I have my own dns server, and I'm going to try creating a record for it and pointing the replaytv to my dns's IP. Resetting the comcast modem resulted in switching the order of addresses that nslookup reports as production.replaytv.net, but it's still resolving to the same addresses I get with either comcast's or public dns servers.

They are switched because that's what it's supposed to do. That's what allows both addressed to get used to distribute the load...

Robert already gave you the address it should currently resolve to (but, that's only for this moment, which is why I didn't want to have it posted). However, there are a whole lot of host names that have to be resolved, production.replaytv.net was just the first one that's easy to type into nslookup. If you can setup something to resolve all hosts on replaytv.net, as Robert suggests, then that should do the trick for you...

You also might follow Robert's suggestion of asking Comcast to opt you out of DNS hijacking (which you can probably do online). They probably aren't trying to be malicious, they are probably trying to protect you from viruses that take over your DNS in order to try to control what you end up accessing so as to trick you into revealing information and such...

By the way, it isn't "caching" when you change DNS servers and still get the same results. DNS caching is when it doesn't even bother to ask the DNS server because it has cached the result. If you change DNS servers and still get the same result (when it should be different), that isn't a caching problem, that's a DNS problem...

Henry
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should now see a record of my 5040 connecting. Thank you for your assistance (both Henry and Robert).

I called Comcast 5 times. Each time they either had no idea what I was talking about, or would transfer me to their paid "signature support" option and try to tell me I had a virus on my system (sigh).

I tried using their online chat, and the agent I reached knew what I was talking about, and claimed to remove the "flag" from my account that enabled their "Domain Helper" service (as I could not find it as an option when I logged in to manage my account online). However, despite resetting my modem several times, they still appeared to be intercepting my DNS requests.

I ended up creating a new zone on my own DNS server for replaytv.net, and added a wildcard entry that pointed to the IP Robert provided. Then, I confirmed that lookups functioned as I expected from my laptop, and entered the DNS server in my replay. Forcing a net connect caused it to finally download the Zone 11/15 file, display LaHo information under the "MyReplayTV Registration" option, have the "Comcast" option listed as a cable manufacturer, and have the 1982 code.

My Replay is now able to control the DTA. Thank you once again for your assistance. Hopefully other forum users using Comcast for internet service will find this addition to the thread helpful (if the IP Robert provided remains valid that is).

-Glad to have my Replay back in action.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhal2k wrote:
I ended up creating a new zone on my own DNS server for replaytv.net, and added a wildcard entry that pointed to the IP Robert provided.

Yeah, that worked well enough. It also directed some other traffic that LaHo doesn't handle, but for the short time that you were just trying to update your IR Blaster codes, it was no problem...

I'm sorry your experience with Comcast wasn't better. It could be that it will just take awhile for the "flag" change to propagate through their system (which is unlikely to be controlled by your modem). But, at least you were able to get past the problem and get your unit upgraded!

Henry
mrhal2k
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the additional traffic. When you said that there were several other hostnames, I figured it would be easiest to use a wildcard instead of asking for either the whole zone file to import, or a list of the valid names.

I don't route dns requests from outside to my internal network, and I've removed the entries I created on my server anyway, so you shouldn't see any more traffic from me.

I'll definitely be donating a few bucks to the paypal account I saw earlier in the thread. I would subscribe, but I'm one of the old lifetime subscribers to the mothership so for now I'll be using them. That is until they decide to arbitrarily disconnect us again...

Anyway, thank you once again for your help and support, and for providing the updated IR codes. I wasn't looking forward to having to set up a Wirns box (again!) so I could manually edit the IR files.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhal2k wrote:
Sorry about the additional traffic. When you said that there were several other hostnames, I figured it would be easiest to use a wildcard instead of asking for either the whole zone file to import, or a list of the valid names.

I don't route dns requests from outside to my internal network, and I've removed the entries I created on my server anyway, so you shouldn't see any more traffic from me.

Well, it was one of my suggestions after all! I just forgot about the additional traffic it would create, which is why Robert mentioned about the actual host list. But, I figured it would be fast and easy just to create a global resolve, which worked just fine...

I saw that the additional traffic stopped pretty quickly after you completed the net connect, so I wasn't concerned. I'm just glad that you were able to get around the problem without too much effort!

Henry
noob
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: RTV can't change DTS channel Reply with quote

Thanks for these instructions and posts, which almost worked for me.

I followed them and everything seemed to work. The Setup Summary on my RTV reported that the RTV is set to:

"Digital cable box on Ch. 3 using IR-Blaster code 1982"

But now my ReplayTV is stuck on one channel. To change the channel, I need to use the Comcast DTA remote. If I set the RTV to record a program from 9-10 pm, it will record from the one channel the DTA is set to (currently PBS).

In the video that mooseplus posted on Youtube, at the end, he shows the "IR Blaster taped one inch from center of the DC50xu." I did not see any instructions on that in the narrative. I tried to follow what mooseplus had done: I used "remote control signal receiver" in the DTA box, plugged it into the DTA box and then taped it to the front of the DTA box. (The "IR Blaster: he taped to his DTA box looks different than the "remote control signal receiver" that came in the DTA box from Comcast.)

But my setup doesn't work to allow the RTV to change channels.

I would appreciate any suggestions. At this point, I will only be able to record programs by first manually changing the channel using the DTA remote, which is cumbersome and limits the ability to record.

Thanks.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: RTV can't change DTS channel Reply with quote

noob wrote:
Thanks for these instructions and posts, which almost worked for me.

I followed them and everything seemed to work. The Setup Summary on my RTV reported that the RTV is set to:

"Digital cable box on Ch. 3 using IR-Blaster code 1982"

But now my ReplayTV is stuck on one channel. To change the channel, I need to use the Comcast DTA remote. If I set the RTV to record a program from 9-10 pm, it will record from the one channel the DTA is set to (currently PBS).

In the video that mooseplus posted on Youtube, at the end, he shows the "IR Blaster taped one inch from center of the DC50xu." I did not see any instructions on that in the narrative. I tried to follow what mooseplus had done: I used "remote control signal receiver" in the DTA box, plugged it into the DTA box and then taped it to the front of the DTA box. (The "IR Blaster: he taped to his DTA box looks different than the "remote control signal receiver" that came in the DTA box from Comcast.)

But my setup doesn't work to allow the RTV to change channels.

I would appreciate any suggestions. At this point, I will only be able to record programs by first manually changing the channel using the DTA remote, which is cumbersome and limits the ability to record.

You have to use an IR Blaster plugged into your RTV. The RTV would have come with an IR Blaster, and that's what needs to be located in front of your DTA or your DTA's "remote control signal receiver". You can read all about this in your RTV User's Guide...

However, I highly recommend using Gary Gray's cable, found on ebay, to directly connect your RTV to the DTA. You plug one end into the RTV IR Blaster port and the other end into the DTA (where the "remote control signal receiver" plugs in) and you're done!

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not know that about the greys cable --thanx h- i may need a few when they shut down my old sat boxes rather then a bunch of irs that i have to cover over the end with black tape---d
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
i did not know that about the greys cable --thanx h- i may need a few when they shut down my old sat boxes rather then a bunch of irs that i have to cover over the end with black tape---d

Uh, I've posted about the Gray's cable almost every time that I give instructions on using the Comcast DTAs. However, the Gray's cable ISN'T for SAT boxes, it's only for the Comcast DTAs, so you can't use it for SAT boxes...

Henry
noob
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: IR blaster and DTA cable Reply with quote

[quote]You have to use an IR Blaster plugged into your RTV. The RTV would have come with an IR Blaster, and that's what needs to be located in front of your DTA or your DTA's "remote control signal receiver". You can read all about this in your RTV User's Guide...

However, I highly recommend using Gary Gray's cable, found on ebay, to directly connect your RTV to the DTA. You plug one end into the RTV IR Blaster port and the other end into the DTA (where the "remote control signal receiver" plugs in) and you're done!
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know whether the "remote control signal receiver" that comes with the Comcast DTA can be used as an IR Blaster? (I never used the one that apparently came in the original RTV box.) (Maybe an IR blaster sends a signal, and the "remote control signal receiver" is a receiver only.)

Thanks also for the link to the Gray cable. It looks (from the ebay ad) like a standard type of cable one could get at RadioShack. Do you know whether than is the case?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IR blaster and DTA cable Reply with quote

noob wrote:
Do you know whether the "remote control signal receiver" that comes with the Comcast DTA can be used as an IR Blaster? (I never used the one that apparently came in the original RTV box.) (Maybe an IR blaster sends a signal, and the "remote control signal receiver" is a receiver only.)

The "remote control signal reciever" is not a blaster, it is only a receiver. It is really a remote extender. Its purpose is to allow you to put the DTA somewhere where it is blocked from the remote, and then you use the "remote control signal receiver" to place in view of the remote and run its wire into the DTA, allowing the DTA to be controlled via remote even though the DTA is out of view...

However, IR Blasters are fairly universal things. I don't know if they are all the same voltage or connection, but I have certainly read that they can be found fairly easily...

noob wrote:
Thanks also for the link to the Gray cable. It looks (from the ebay ad) like a standard type of cable one could get at RadioShack. Do you know whether than is the case?

It isn't just a cable adapter, it has electronics in it to adapt from the signals the RTV produces to go into the "remove control signal receiver" input on the DTA. You couldn't get anything like it a Radio Shack. There are a couple of other people making such a thing, also posting on ebay. However, I highly recommend the Gray's cable as being the one that I know works and that a lot of other people have used as well...
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
srfrdan wrote:

Uh, I've posted about the Gray's cable almost every time that I give instructions on using the Comcast DTAs. However, the Gray's cable ISN'T for SAT boxes, it's only for the Comcast DTAs, so you can't use it for SAT boxes...

Henry
i think i was absent(minded?) those days. ive got 2 dtas now and may need 4 more. dtv offered 4 free boxes @ 4.99/mo. fee and the dtas are free @ 1.50/mo. fee. of course theres much more programming on a sat box. ill decide if and whenthey cut out the legacy boxes---d
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
dtv offered 4 free boxes @ 4.99/mo. fee and the dtas are free @ 1.50/mo. fee.

How are they free if they cost something per month? confused

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Shipping and handling of course!

BTW Henry, I saw another Goodwill poll on the dialup today. Most folks seem to do a global before the nightly. You may want to update the instructions to specifically skip the global. (if you don't already)

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
BTW Henry, I saw another Goodwill poll on the dialup today. Most folks seem to do a global before the nightly. You may want to update the instructions to specifically skip the global. (if you don't already)

The instructions say not to change any other settings for dial-up users, which is what causes the global. But, the global doesn't hurt anything, so it shouldn't matter...

I also noticed, however, that there are a couple of 2K users that seem to be logging in regularly without an account. I can't understand what the point is since all it can do is set the clock and can't provide any guide data...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC there were posts from users that just wanted to be able to set the clock. They may use it for manual records or even a security monitor.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
rmeden wrote:

The instructions say not to change any other settings for dial-up users, which is what causes the global. But, the global doesn't hurt anything, so it shouldn't matter...

I added for LaHo to log the GetTimeZone request, which is what is causing the error condition. I don't know what happens on the user's end, but I assume they get an error trying to use the new settings, and then either have to not keep the settings, or change the settings back to normal just to be able to proceed. Anyway, the instructions clearly say to press Continue, and specifically say that you don't need to change your ZIP code or any other settings (other than the dialing prefix). So, I don't know how else they could be worded. If you can think of a better way to word it, please either change it yourself or let me know. I'm not sure what problem it is causing for these users, but I assume they are able to recover from it just fine...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
srfrdan wrote:
dtv offered 4 free boxes @ 4.99/mo. fee and the dtas are free @ 1.50/mo. fee.

Henry
well u actually have to buy sat boxes and still pay a mo. fee unless ur a long time costumer and also fifty cents a dta box and its mo. fee. they both give one box no mo. charge. u still have to pay for service from both so some break beats no break.---d
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Shipping and handling of course!

u dont pay the s&h thats free---d
george98034
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum. Sorry for the long post but this boils down to three questions at the end and if you want you can skip to that but I think this is important background.

I have two 2000 RTV's which I noticed weren't updating schedules anymore and the clock was wrong. A few weeks ago I finally found this site and learned about LaHo and ran it on Unit #1 to get the clock set. I thought I got it off LaHo so then I ran it on Unit #2. However, I noticed my Register menu still listed LaHo and tried as I might I couldn't get it off! I verified I removed the Dallas phone number, audibly verified it was only dialing locally, tried clearing the program guide twice, rebooting every time. Nothing worked.

Finally I went back to Unit #1 to see how I got it to work and I realized it also was still registered to LaHo. After trying the same tricks unsuccessfully I finally did a factory reset and dialed into Replay's network again. I took a bunch of tries but eventually I got a full 2 weeks schedules on Unit #1! I'm confused because I thought LaHo was because noone was getting Replay TV program guide updates?! I thought maybe I had switched local phone #'s and that was the whole issue.

Then I figured I'd do a factory reset on Unit #2 and get the same thing but even using the same prefix, zip, phone, etc I couldn't get it to load a program guide or get the correct time!? I've tried a lot and couldn't ever get it to repeat Unit #1's success.

A week later I went back to Unit #1 and noticed that although I got a full 2 weeks initially I wasn't getting further updates. I've been trying a 243 connect to force more updates and it goes through a long call but ends with an error and doesn't update anything.

I have three questions

Question #1 - how did I get a full Replay TV program guide on Unit #1 and is there any way to make it work reliably? Is LaHo really the only way to get a program guide? This is no mistake - the Replay network is clearly still able to provide two weeks of program guide, but not reliably.

Question #2 - why wasn't I able to get off of LaHo? I carefully followed the instructions about rebooting before removing the prefix, and I verified I was only dialing locally. I'm not 100% sure if I may have changed my prefix between connecting to LaHo and removing LaHo. Would that have screwed it up?

Question #3 - With a 2000 unit and dial-up it seems like the LaHo solution isn't viable because I'd have to either pay for LD calls to Dallas every day or run my own WiRNS server with some sort of dial-up connection to it? It's great if you can do it over Ethernet but not dial-up. Am I missing something? Seems like unless I can get the Replay network working again it's time to move on to newer technology. Any value in these old units?

FYI Unit #1's ID ends in 523W1 and Unit #2 73E8U in case that helps in scanning the LaHo logs.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

george98034 wrote:
Question #1 - how did I get a full Replay TV program guide on Unit #1 and is there any way to make it work reliably? Is LaHo really the only way to get a program guide? This is no mistake - the Replay network is clearly still able to provide two weeks of program guide, but not reliably.

ReplayTV is still providing guide data (EPG). However, they are just an office sitting on the Internet. The dial-up connection on your 2000 is what is giving it Internet access. But, the problem seems to be with the dial-up providers providing that Internet access, and that is what is unreliable. There are many threads on this topic, both here and on AVSForum, with all kinds of ideas of getting a good dial-up guide download, including right here, so I'm not going to go into detail about this problem. I'll only explain that the problem is with the dial-up providers being unreliable...

george98034 wrote:
Question #2 - why wasn't I able to get off of LaHo? I carefully followed the instructions about rebooting before removing the prefix, and I verified I was only dialing locally. I'm not 100% sure if I may have changed my prefix between connecting to LaHo and removing LaHo. Would that have screwed it up?

I'm not sure, but I'll guess that the problem was that when you tried to get off LaHo that you were unable to successfully connect to DNNA. I can't speculate about what might have happened if you changed your dial prefix between connecting to LaHo and removing LaHo, it would depend on what change you made to the prefix...

george98034 wrote:
Question #3 - With a 2000 unit and dial-up it seems like the LaHo solution isn't viable because I'd have to either pay for LD calls to Dallas every day or run my own WiRNS server with some sort of dial-up connection to it? It's great if you can do it over Ethernet but not dial-up. Am I missing something? Seems like unless I can get the Replay network working again it's time to move on to newer technology. Any value in these old units?

You're basically correct in your assumptions. If you want to use LaHo, you have to pay for the subscription to LaHo and an additional fee to use the dial-up sevice in LaHo, and then have to be able to make long distance calls to Dallas. You can do it all without additional operating expense by setting up WiRNS in your home with something like a phone line simulator and FREESCO, which is posted here...

I doubt there is much value in these older dial-up units. Especially that they cannot be networked together, and that they require working dial-up service...

george98034 wrote:
FYI Unit #1's ID ends in 523W1 and Unit #2 73E8U in case that helps in scanning the LaHo logs.

I'm glad you provided this because I was going to ask you for it. Although, you needed to only post the end of the 18-character serial number, not the full 21-character ID, so can I confirm that unit#1 ends with 56452 and unit#2 ends with 56173?

I'll focus on unit#2 first because it is easier. It first connects on October 15th and I can see that it downloaded the Comcast IR Blaster update, so I can tell this is the first time that it connected to LaHo. I can also see that you attempted several net connects to DNNA first before changing it to connect to LaHo (like 7 attempts). And, I can see that you followed the directions properly in changing it to connect to LaHo. It looks like all went well. Then, I can see that it net connected again about 2-1/2 hours later. This one is comming off of the successful first net connect to LaHo with no attempted connects to DNNA inbetween. Then, there is a third net connect about another hour later. And, then a fourth one about another 1/2 hour later. All of these came off the successful net connects to LaHo with no attempted net connects to DNNA inbetween. But, then the fifth attempt shows that you tried changing some of your dial settings and now things are messed up. Now you are getting error b1008506 when you try to change the dial settings. Unfortunately, that net connect is also during a period where we were having some poblems with the server, so that net connect went on for about 2 hours and finally ended with error c1000505.

Since I can see a more complete history of this unit#2, assuming you confirm that ID, if you could please explain more about what your were doing to the 2000 during that time period. I'm wondering if you only had the Dallas phone number prefix in there for the first net connect and then the next one, 2-1/2 hours later, and the subsequent ones were with no phone number prefix, or after you tried removing the prefix, couldn't get it to work, and then went back to using the Dallas phone number prefix?

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone connects to LaHo and the registration screen is changed to say LaHo.... but when they call ReplayTV again is that reset? If it does a lastupdated on the authorization registry LaHo has been updated last.

A unit should still get guide data from ReplayTV though, even though the registration page says LaHo.

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: