Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaHo Good Will -- free activation / clock set / IR Codes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
george98034
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something very surprising to both of us is happening. Those are my ID's although it's reversed - Unit #1 ends in 56173 and Unit #2 ends in 56452.

Thanks for all the info. So can you summarize the status on the dial-up providers - is there a "good" way to get dial-up service to RTV or is it completely random? I will try the trick on that link. If you tell me what chance I have of making it work I will look for more tricks.

Unfortunately I didn't log exactly what was happening. I may have gone away for awhile (2.5 hrs??) but I recall the next connection after the first success I tried to remove LaHo, so I'm surprised it dialed it again. I do remember getting that error eventually and seeing online that the error corresponded to accidentally dialing into LaHo. I think I may have tried dialing into Dallas again (see below) once I read about that error, hoping I could fix things up.

I just checked out my LD records, and it's definitive proof that the Replay TV phone numbers are allowing me to connect to LaHo somehow. All my Unit #1 calls were dialed through my Frontier LD and I just verified there was only 1 call on 10/8 for 34 minutes (a bunch of zones got updated). All the Unit #2 calls were done using a LD calling card (after seeing how much it was costing me on a 34 min call) and I see I only made 2 calls on 10/15 for 6 min and 10/16 for 2 min.

So am I missing something here or is this surprising to everyone? I thought I had to dial LD to Dallas to access LaHo but it seems like I can actually dial my local RTV number and somehow connect through the internet to LaHo because all those extra calls you documented were not dialed to Dallas!

I now see that these local dial-up #'s aren't owned by ReplayTV but are likely some ISP (in fact I found mine 425-896-2209 on an AT&T list) that provide an internet connection and then the RTV is just connecting to some IP address. I don't understand, then, why the connection wouldn't be reliable.

So my theory is something is happening when I connected to LaHo, updating perhaps an internal IP address or DNS. Even though I was no longer dialing LaHo it was still reaching LaHo. Just removing the Dallas phone number isn't changing that so it remains registered to LaHo. This must have worked for some people, though, so it's not a great theory.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
When someone connects to LaHo and the registration screen is changed to say LaHo.... but when they call ReplayTV again is that reset? If it does a lastupdated on the authorization registry LaHo has been updated last.

Yes, when they call ReplayTV again, it should be reset. I made sure that LaHo sets the "lastupdated on the authorization registry" so that ReplayTV will reset it. That was one of the important things I changed to make this "Good Will" work, because ReplayTV wasn't resetting it until I changed it so that it will work this way, as I felt it was important to get this confirmation that the unit had reconnected to ReplayTV...

rmeden wrote:
A unit should still get guide data from ReplayTV though, even though the registration page says LaHo.

Well, since I still see fetching guide data from LaHo, then it isn't necessarily the case. If the registration page says ReplayTV, then the RTV is getting guide data from ReplayTV...

Henry
r8ders2k
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Lost FlipFlop's codes...(?) Reply with quote

Greetings,

Been away from the ReplayTV discussion for awhile and was intrigued by the LaHo talk about adding new IR codes. So, I figured I'd give it a shot and it seems to work fine.

But I noticed that all of the codes that I had added years ago using FlipFlop's boot CD were gone.

Comments...?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost FlipFlop's codes...(?) Reply with quote

r8ders2k wrote:
Been away from the ReplayTV discussion for awhile and was intrigued by the LaHo talk about adding new IR codes. So, I figured I'd give it a shot and it seems to work fine.

But I noticed that all of the codes that I had added years ago using FlipFlop's boot CD were gone.

Well, they're not gone from the unit, they're only gone from the menu, as discussed here. And, if you use the boot CD to put them back, then code 1982 will be gone from the menu even though the code would still be on the unit. You'd have to build a new boot CD menu file which includes code 1982 if you want all of them. But, there's already this post on AVSForum of how to add the Comcast code to the boot CD, so maybe that would be a better way to go if you wanted to combine all those different blaster codes...

Henry
ewilen
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you (hdonzis) could take a look at this thread on avsforum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432164/why-doesnt-my-ir-blaster-work

(Not sure if you're already aware of the thread and posting under a different handle.)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewilen wrote:
I wonder if you (hdonzis) could take a look at this thread on avsforum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432164/why-doesnt-my-ir-blaster-work

(Not sure if you're already aware of the thread and posting under a different handle.)

Yep, I've been watching it, but I don't post on AVSForum. However, "The Robman" was the one who tested it originally for me, and he said that it worked for him...

Henry
ewilen
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry. I've found that the IR Blaster on my unit is definitely still working--it can (somewhat) control a CM-7000 digital OTA box. I think my problem is simply that the LaHo update doesn't include a code for the DCI105COM1 DTA. Is there any chance of adding that to the update?

Otherwise, I gather it's rather involved to use WiRNS with a Showstopper, not to mention I'd have to scare up a PC or find a way to run WiRNS in a VM on my Mac.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewilen wrote:
Thanks, Henry. I've found that the IR Blaster on my unit is definitely still working--it can (somewhat) control a CM-7000 digital OTA box. I think my problem is simply that the LaHo update doesn't include a code for the DCI105COM1 DTA. Is there any chance of adding that to the update?

Every post I see (searching DCI105COM1) says that it responds to the same blaster code as the other Comcast DTAs, and should work fine with the LaHo installed code 1982 in the Comcast Cable Box selection. I'm not sure which DTA "The Robman" had/has, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is exactly that same model. Unforutnately, I have about a hundred PMs from him when he was testing for me, and this forum doesn't have any way to search PMs for me to confirm it...

ewilen wrote:
Otherwise, I gather it's rather involved to use WiRNS with a Showstopper, not to mention I'd have to scare up a PC or find a way to run WiRNS in a VM on my Mac.

Well, depending on what you want to accomplish in the long run, you might want to look into this. I am running my 3060 in this way, and have been for quite some time now. I documented my experiences and proceedures here (WOW 3 years ago now!). If you are running VMs, then you can VM both the FREESCO and WiRNS, which Robert Eden documented here (as well as several posts on this forum)...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

george98034 wrote:
I think something very surprising to both of us is happening. Those are my ID's although it's reversed - Unit #1 ends in 56173 and Unit #2 ends in 56452.

Thanks for all the info. So can you summarize the status on the dial-up providers - is there a "good" way to get dial-up service to RTV or is it completely random? I will try the trick on that link. If you tell me what chance I have of making it work I will look for more tricks.

Unfortunately I didn't log exactly what was happening. I may have gone away for awhile (2.5 hrs??) but I recall the next connection after the first success I tried to remove LaHo, so I'm surprised it dialed it again. I do remember getting that error eventually and seeing online that the error corresponded to accidentally dialing into LaHo. I think I may have tried dialing into Dallas again (see below) once I read about that error, hoping I could fix things up.

I just checked out my LD records, and it's definitive proof that the Replay TV phone numbers are allowing me to connect to LaHo somehow. All my Unit #1 calls were dialed through my Frontier LD and I just verified there was only 1 call on 10/8 for 34 minutes (a bunch of zones got updated). All the Unit #2 calls were done using a LD calling card (after seeing how much it was costing me on a 34 min call) and I see I only made 2 calls on 10/15 for 6 min and 10/16 for 2 min.

So am I missing something here or is this surprising to everyone? I thought I had to dial LD to Dallas to access LaHo but it seems like I can actually dial my local RTV number and somehow connect through the internet to LaHo because all those extra calls you documented were not dialed to Dallas!

I now see that these local dial-up #'s aren't owned by ReplayTV but are likely some ISP (in fact I found mine 425-896-2209 on an AT&T list) that provide an internet connection and then the RTV is just connecting to some IP address. I don't understand, then, why the connection wouldn't be reliable.

So my theory is something is happening when I connected to LaHo, updating perhaps an internal IP address or DNS. Even though I was no longer dialing LaHo it was still reaching LaHo. Just removing the Dallas phone number isn't changing that so it remains registered to LaHo. This must have worked for some people, though, so it's not a great theory.

Sorry, somehow I never saw your reply until just now...

I can't tell you about how reliable or any good tricks. There's a very long thread about it on AVSForum with all kinds of tricks that people try...

And, yes you will still access LaHo through your local dial-up number if you don't reboot the RTV. However, once you reboot the RTV, it loses the address of LaHo and should go back to DNNA...

Henry
floatplane
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of months since the last post here so can I ask if the LaHo "Goodwill" service is still running?

I just got my Comcast DTAs (and was disappointed to see they don't have composite video output, just F-type coaxial antenna/TV connector), as analog cable is ending next week in my area.

I've no idea where my IR blasters are, I've never used then in 10 years, so I'm going to have a busy weekend searching boxes in the garage.

I notice the DTA (DC50Xu) has an IR extender jack on it. Is there a cable to connect the RTV blaster jack directly to this, maybe with a resistor in-line to step down the signal voltage?

Is there any advantage to upgrading from a DTA to the next level box (Comcast Digital Cable Box), at some monthly cost?

Hope I can get this working.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floatplane wrote:
It's been a couple of months since the last post here so can I ask if the LaHo "Goodwill" service is still running?

Yes, it is still running. I'm sure we'll either post or lock or delete this thread when we discontinue the service...

floatplane wrote:
I've no idea where my IR blasters are, I've never used then in 10 years, so I'm going to have a busy weekend searching boxes in the garage.

You're going to have to find something. I highly recommend the Gary Gray cable for this purpose. It is MUCH easier to setup and use than the IR Blasters.

floatplane wrote:
I notice the DTA (DC50Xu) has an IR extender jack on it. Is there a cable to connect the RTV blaster jack directly to this, maybe with a resistor in-line to step down the signal voltage?

You can use the Gray's cable for this purpose...

floatplane wrote:
Is there any advantage to upgrading from a DTA to the next level box (Comcast Digital Cable Box), at some monthly cost?

I couldn't say. If you're concerned about having composite or S-Video, then that would be about the only advantage I could think of. Also, if you had an HD cable box, then when recording HD channels they typically output composite in letter boxed so you still get the whole width. But, I haven't seen one with an IR input like the DTA, and they don't stay turned on like the DTAs, which the RTV requires...

floatplane wrote:
Hope I can get this working.

If you use LaHo and Gray's cable, it should be a cinch! Plus, if you watch the video posted here, it should make it even that much more easy!

Henry
floatplane
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is is a bit strange. I converted both a 4k and a 5k unit without a problem today, they both retune their Comcast DTA as needed. Thanks for all the info on that, Henry and Co. My second 5k unit is acting a little weird.

Firstly I must confess that it has been running with the same static IP address programmed in it as the 4k unit. Although it clearly has been recording and getting the channel guide from ReplayTV, that may explain why watching shows across my LAN has hardly worked since I fixed it several months ago.

The machine became unresponsive several months back, so as a test I swapped out the 300Gbyte drive for the original 40G one and it worked fine from that point. I must have programmed the wrong static IP at that time.

Back to today, I started repeating the instructions for this unit such as re-boot and re-program DNS to percdata.com. After I select "Keep All Settings", instead of taking me back to top-level Settings menu, it shows me a "Service Activation" info page even though it's always been activated and lifetime subscription. Then after selecting "continue" from there I go straight to the "Video Output Settings" page. I select "continue" there too.

Now back at the main settings page, I don't find a "Connect now to ReplayTV" option anywhere.

Do I have old software perhaps? The system info shows software version 530451350, whereas my other 5000 unit is 530511440.

Maybe I need to just wait for it to connect percdata automagically tonight and see if that helps.

Any help is gratefully accepted.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you put the old drive back in the RTV, you needed to allow it to connect to DNNA to activate it and update it. The activation is kept on the hard drive, so while you may have kept it activated, it was on the other hard drive, so that hard drive hasn't been activated since you removed it, so its activation has expired...

So, put your RTV settings back to normal network settings and allow it to connect to DNNA, get activated, and updated. Then connect it to Perc and get the Comcast update...

The Perc system isn't going to do anything more for you allowing it to connect because you don't have a subscription. And, you really don't want to get a subscription just to activate it since you can simply allow it to connect to DNNA to get activated and upgraded. So, get it all "back to normal" first, and then do the Comcast update...

Henry
floatplane
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I understand. I actually needed to use 243 Zones to force a connect. It is all working now, except it failed during software update.

Thanks again
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floatplane wrote:
It is all working now, except it failed during software update.

You can use 2-4-3-Zones to just do a software update. It is typically more successful when done alone. Then, you'll probably need to do the Comcast upgrade again, I'm not sure, but you can check to see if Comcast is still in the IR Blaster selection, assuming, of course, that you already did the Comcast update, even after it failed the software update...

Henry
optimusfan
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered just to thank you guys for setting this up. Comcast 86'd our analog service yesterday, but I was able to get up and running again quickly today using the instructions provided.

Thanks!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optimusfan wrote:
Registered just to thank you guys for setting this up. Comcast 86'd our analog service yesterday, but I was able to get up and running again quickly today using the instructions provided.

It's amazing the roll-out schedule that Comcast is following! I know that they are very large, but it's been over well more than a year across the country. But, I'm very glad that because the Comcast population is so large, that this "Comcast" upgrade has been so useful!

Thanks for letting us know!

Henry
ppahr
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so glad you guys figured this out after spending the summer using cable remote to change channels I finally used perc data and set Comcast code up thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: