Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little more clarity on the instructions for LaHo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: A little more clarity on the instructions for LaHo Reply with quote

Hi.

I was just watching the video where someone loads IR codes for Good Will, and had a question about the instructions for LaHo.

From the instructions:

On the ReplayTV's main menu, select "Network and Input Settings"
set both DNS servers to 207.58.129.219
When done, select "keep all settings"
Do not select "Change from manual to automatic"

The instructions say to just change the DNS, but in order to change the DNS, you have to switch to manual. I do not want to change from dynamic IP because of the RTV double lease issue (I use a solid WRT54G still (OEM firmware), so no way to reserve a static).

How does one not switch to manual and also change the DNS? Do I leave the IP, Subnet and Gateway blank? Do I then have to switch BACK to automatic afterwards (or will that clear out the DNS too)?

Thanks. Trying to iron out details BEFORE I start the process.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automated settings means that ALL the information comes from the DHCP server, including the DNS settings. So, if you want to stay with automated networking, then you'd have to change your DHCP server to feed those DNS settings instead, which would mean that everything on your network would use LaHo for DNS, which wouldn't work. If your router was smart enough, then maybe you could configure it to have a different DNS setting for your Replays than the rest of your network. Or, I guess you could change your enitre network to using static addresses, especially since it is likely that their DNS address should be the router, same as the gateway, and then you could change your DHCP server to serve the LaHo address for the DNS address (assuming it's even configurable in your router because normally it simply serves its own IP address, or it serves the ISP's values if it doesn't run a DNS proxy)...

The only other thing I can think of is to configure your router's DNS server to have LaHo for the resolution of all of the replaytv.net host names. This has been discussed previously when people were having trouble with DNNA's RDDNS server, that changing the host name for it was the easiest way to get your Replays to use the backup RDDNS servers without having to change anything else. Some router's DNS servers can configure a global setting, like *.replaytv.net, and some can configure individual settings, like production.replaytv.net. Anyway, since your other network devices aren't likely to care about these host names since they're only for ReplayTV puproses, if your router's DNS server supports setting up custom host names, then this is likely to be the easiest solution for you...

But, to answer your question directly, using automated networking means that all the parameters are supplied by the DHCP server. If you want to change even a single parameter, then you have to use manual networking...

Henry
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry.

That is what I thought, but since the instructions didn't go into that level of detail, I wondered if there was another way to do this that didn't involve altering some piece of my current configuration.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
That is what I thought, but since the instructions didn't go into that level of detail, I wondered if there was another way to do this that didn't involve altering some piece of my current configuration.

Networking is networking, and it works as it works!

But, that's how you "trick" the Replays into using LaHo instead, by changing their DNS address when they lookup hosts on replaytv.net. You can't change how the Replay works, it wants to contact DNNA on replaytv.net. So, you have to get it to go to LaHo instead, and all you can do is change its DNS, one way or the other. So, there's only two ways to change the DNS, and that is to either change it at the DHCP server or on the settings for the network device. But, there's also the ability to change how DNS works by setting values for certain host names, which is typically through something like the hosts file. So, that gives you three choices, change your DHCP server to have a different DNS address, change your network device to have a different DNS address, or change your DNS server to have different values for certain host names...

Henry
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I understand that.

I am looking now into how to flash one of my old WRT54Gs to Tomato, but I can't find a Mac unzip tool that will work with those 7z files (even though two Mac programs said they would). I may have to fire up a PC or BOOTCAMP to do this, and then I will have a router that can support Manual settings on the RTV.

I now remember that this was why I didn't switch to WIRNS before - I didn't really want to change the firmware on my router since it has been so consistent over the years (and other routers I had tried had not been).

Thanks again.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could say something about any router that doesn't support lease reservations...

Of course, if the Replay didn't have a bug in it in the first place...

And, by the way, the hosts modification is a good way to go as well, lots of people used that for the RDDNS problems, I just don't know if your router has that ability or not as is, but worth looking into...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You probably can just do nothing because a device will ping an address before using it should dhcp reassign it. Since the ReplayTV is always on, it would keep the IP.

2. You can always manually assign an IP in your current subnet, but outside the current DNS ranges.

3. I'm a fan of Tomoato (ran it for years), but it's really overkill in this case.

Henry, once he pings LaHo once, doesn't it change the hostname field so DNS can safely revert back? At least except for lineup setup maybe?
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I have tried the assignment out of DHCP leased range a couple of times over the years. It does double assign and messes up the networking of the units in terms of watching a show from one on another. In fact, new IPs are reassigned continuously with dynamic (instead of the same one). I have to make a unit re-identify itself more often than I would like when trying to make sure the units see each other.

I hooked up my Comcast N router again today. I don't like it as much as the linksys, but it does have reservations (and does make my N devices load faster). I ethernet my RTVs throughout the house - cables to trip on if not for rugs. If this router stays stable, I will switchover the first RTV (and take photos for you).

I am not sure I understood how to do your (2). Can you elaborate? And I look forward to Henry's answer.

Thanks,
Susan
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
1. You probably can just do nothing because a device will ping an address before using it should dhcp reassign it. Since the ReplayTV is always on, it would keep the IP.

2. You can always manually assign an IP in your current subnet, but outside the current DNS ranges.

3. I'm a fan of Tomoato (ran it for years), but it's really overkill in this case.

Henry, once he pings LaHo once, doesn't it change the hostname field so DNS can safely revert back? At least except for lineup setup maybe?

1 is what we recommend for the "good will" project to make things easy. It is a very reasonable assumption for a temporary setup. But, definitely not a good idea for a permanent setup, like having a subscription to LaHo, and definitely will not solve the DHCP bug. There is no solution to the DHCP bug except to use a "good" DHCP server or a lease reservation, so this case would not be any better...

2 is a complete assumption based on the DHCP server. It actually has no merit what so ever. Just because you give the Replay an IP outside the DHCP range, it doesn't prevent the Replay from asking for a lease, which it will get from within the DHCP range. So, I think it is a complete myth, I don't see how it could possibly help anything at all...

Lastly, she is a she, and the Replay does have DNS cache, so it will only lookup the hostname once. However, that doesn't last very long, it's probably a day for LaHo, I'd have to check. And, there are several host names involved, so you'd have to get through almost the entire net connect with the DNS proxied before you could revert it back...

Henry
tarany
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Channel lineup restored!! Reply with quote

I just joined this forum mostly to say THANK YOU! I did not know about the bankruptcy until I gave up today and called the RePlay help line that has assisted in the past (after trying for a week all of my usual tricks to restore service). I missed several of my usual shows and was distraught!

I have to admit I don't understand most of what was posted in this forum but I just am so relieved that my addiction to RePlay can continue!

A few Questions

1 - what does it mean to "power cycle" your RePlay? My channel lineup is working now so I guess it did that - but the lay person won't know what that means.

2 - Do I need to put back in my regular zip code? It says the value is not used so I guess not?

3 - one page said something about not putting too many channels on your lineup - but I just used the one for my neighborhood which has hundreds. I don't use most of them but it would take a while to delete them. Can I just keep the lineup as is or will that crash the system

4 - I've heard it is easy to add a second hard drive to get more space (I installed a 120 hour hard drive many years ago when my original crashed) - is there a good page with instructions on how to do that?

Thanks everyone!
barmar
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Channel lineup restored!! Reply with quote

tarany wrote:
1 - what does it mean to "power cycle" your RePlay? My channel lineup is working now so I guess it did that - but the lay person won't know what that means.

It means to turn off and on, or reboot. You can reboot ReplayTV by pressing the power button for about 10 seconds.
Quote:

3 - one page said something about not putting too many channels on your lineup - but I just used the one for my neighborhood which has hundreds. I don't use most of them but it would take a while to delete them. Can I just keep the lineup as is or will that crash the system

If your lineup is too large, it slows down the server, and you'll get an email suggesting that you reduce it. The lineup page has shortcuts that make it easy to delete lots of channels. They're grouped into categories (sports, news, movies) and you can add/remove whole groups with one click. You can also remove a range of channels by clicking on the first channel and then shift-clicking on the last channel in the range.
Quote:

4 - I've heard it is easy to add a second hard drive to get more space (I installed a 120 hour hard drive many years ago when my original crashed) - is there a good page with instructions on how to do that?

This isn't really about LaHo. I think you may be able to find information in the ReplayTV FAQ.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Channel lineup restored!! Reply with quote

tarany wrote:

2 - Do I need to put back in my regular zip code? It says the value is not used so I guess not?

1. "power cycle" means to cycle power... off/on. (usually by pulling the plug)

2. You do not need to put in your regular zip code. It's not used.

3. You can quickly remove channels on the PERC web site by clicking a channel and then shift-clicking another channel. (very useful if you numeric sort first). You can also just remove category sections, if we were able categorize things correctly (it's not always accurate). If you're not getting automated emails about too many channels you may be ok. Personally, I find it better to have fewer channels in the guide. THings just run faster.

4. I don't advise adding a second drive. You double the chances of losing all your shows. The best solution is to use DVArchive to pull the files off your ReplayTV to a local computer.
tarany
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Channel lineup restored!! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll work on decreasing the channels.

I'm going on 15 or so years with my RePlay and I can't give it up now!
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
I am looking now into how to flash one of my old WRT54Gs to Tomato, but I can't find a Mac unzip tool that will work with those 7z files (even though two Mac programs said they would).

Yes, flashing your WRT54G with Tomato is the way to go, as long as it isn't a v5 or later model.

The Tomato site has .zip downloads.

Or, the venerable Stuffit Expander can expand 7z files.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I may eventually flash to Tomato - thanks for the encouragement. Both WRTs are v2, so I should be fine. For now though, I am using the cable company N router that I got for free.

Susan
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
So I may eventually flash to Tomato - thanks for the encouragement. Both WRTs are v2, so I should be fine. For now though, I am using the cable company N router that I got for free.

You wouldn't want to replace the N router with the WRT54G. For one thing, the WRT54G doesn't support gigabit Ethernet, let alone wireless N.

But what you can do is connect the WRT54G (running Tomato) to one of the N router's LAN ports, with the G's Wi-Fi turned off. Connect the ReplayTV to the LAN port of the G. Make sure Tomato is using a different DHCP range than the N router.

Now you can use Tomato to control the IP address that it gets from the G router.

For IVS sharing, you can just set the ReplayTV's IP address in Tomato to be in the DMZ, I think.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I kept using the WRT instead of the N was that the WRT consistently worked and the N wifi was flaky. I even tried to use the WRT as a G access point with the N router just being used for the DHCP and for wired devices (wifi off), but the N router didn't like that.

Now (knock on wood) it seems to be ok, but I did update the firmware. I actually use a small switch for my wired devices now - makes it so much easier when switching routers.

If it becomes flaky again, I will Tomato away or buy something new.

Thanks again.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
sbwinter2 wrote:

You wouldn't want to replace the N router with the WRT54G. For one thing, the WRT54G doesn't support gigabit Ethernet, let alone wireless N.

But what you can do is connect the WRT54G (running Tomato) to one of the N router's LAN ports, with the G's Wi-Fi turned off. Connect the ReplayTV to the LAN port of the G. Make sure Tomato is using a different DHCP range than the N router.

Now you can use Tomato to control the IP address that it gets from the G router.

For IVS sharing, you can just set the ReplayTV's IP address in Tomato to be in the DMZ, I think.

That's assuming that the cable company's router doesn't do everything you want. I've had no problem setting the cable company's router to do port forwards and lease reservations, doing everything I need for running the ReplayTVs with WiRNS...

Henry
lytram
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed my DNS numbers and apparently connected to LaHo servers cause I now have a LaHo item on my setup menu. It gave me an activation code and told me to enter it on your website, but I can't find any place to do that.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It gave me an activation code and told me to enter it on your website, but I can't find any place to do that.

The activation code was for your account on the website. That is to finish setting up your account. I did that before I chose a lineup to load.

I did not see anything to do with LaHo in my RTV setup. After I chose the lineup on the website, that lineup was available to load after I changed my zip to erase the previous lineup. It all looked just like it did with Replay.
lytram
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Activation code Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, but I think the activation code you are talking about was one they sent in an email. I used that to create my account and select my lineup. The activation code I am talking about was originally used for Replay TV. It was listed under the LaHo heading that now appears on my Setup Menu. It says to go on the website and enter it, but I can't find any place to do that.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was talking about the one from the email.

I did have to enter my serial number (not activation key) from the System Info on the RTV when I registered my RTV unit on the website. I don't remember seeing anything that had to do with LaHo directly on my RTV though.

The machine I did today was one that I have been using for a long time, so I didn't need to activate it, just change the listings. Was that not the case with your RTV?
lytram
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: activation key Reply with quote

yes, it was one I have been using for a long time on the Replay TV network. But since I made the changes the channel guide comes up blank and tells me to go to Network and Settings. I have tried telling it to contact the network to get new guide info several times but no luck. Would it be helpful to have the exact text of what I see when I select the channel guide?
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ironic that you ask for that. I was asked to take photos of the RTV process I went through. I will give them to PercData to incorporate with their instructions.

Meanwhile, here was my process:
First I created an account on PercData and activated it.
Then I added an RTV unit by adding the serial number.
Then I chose a lineup on the website (I could have edited some channels out at that time, but I forgot. I can still do it now though.)

On the RTV:
First I did a power cycle (unplug/wait 10 sec/plug in)
Then once back up, I went to Network settings
I went to Change Network, which was in manual mode, and changed both DNS to the numbers provided in the FAQ on the website.
It verified.
I went to Change Zip and changed it to something else in my area (just needs to be different).
Then it connected and updated control info and channels.
I was asked what was plugged in where.
I was offered the listing I had specified on the website.
I picked the same model cable box.
Then the channels info and then program listings loaded. And then combining data and processing new listing info.
Then it was done.

My past recordings settings did not maintain, so I deleted them and reset them again.

The listings look and work just like before.

Does this help?
lytram
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: still no luck Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed description. It was very helpful. I had already done all those steps, precisely as you described. The only difference is now when I select the channel guide, I get the following message.
No channel guide information is available. Please choose "Setup" from the Main Menu and select "Network and Input Settings" to update channel guide.

Unlike you, I did go in and drop large portions of my channel listing in hopes of getting a different result, but as of now, it has not changed the outcome.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Activation code Reply with quote

lytram wrote:
thanks for the reply, but I think the activation code you are talking about was one they sent in an email. I used that to create my account and select my lineup. The activation code I am talking about was originally used for Replay TV. It was listed under the LaHo heading that now appears on my Setup Menu. It says to go on the website and enter it, but I can't find any place to do that.

Are you talking about this screen:
Code:
By registering with the LaHo Service, you can obtain full guide data.

To register with the LaHo Service, visit our Web site at www.percdata.com

Have the following ReplayTV Service Key ready:
if so, I think you are under the MyReplayTV menu, which is for registering for the old MyReplayTV service that doesn't exist any longer. This message is pretty much the way it always was, it just says LaHo instead of ReplayTV so that you now that you've connected to LaHo. The rest is irrelevant and should be disregarded. I'll discuss it with Robert to see how we should change that wording...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: still no luck Reply with quote

lytram wrote:
Thanks for the detailed description. It was very helpful. I had already done all those steps, precisely as you described. The only difference is now when I select the channel guide, I get the following message.
No channel guide information is available. Please choose "Setup" from the Main Menu and select "Network and Input Settings" to update channel guide.

Unlike you, I did go in and drop large portions of my channel listing in hopes of getting a different result, but as of now, it has not changed the outcome.

It sounds like you either don't have an account at Perc, that you didn't select any lineups on your Perc account, or that you entered the incorrect serial number into your Perc account. What you're describing is what happens in any of those situations. So, double check that you can log into your Perc account, that you have at least one lineup configured, and that the serial number in your Perc account matches the serial number on that screen (except for the last three characters I think). You only want the 18-character serial number, not the entire 21-character serial number...

Henry
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I am not the best person to debug this since I do not have access to PercData's back end.

Regardless, when you log into your PercData account, and go to the Mv Account page, do you see any listings under Subscribed Listings?
lytram
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Activation code Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the reply. I think you're correct, it was just the original RTV activation screen info with the LaHo names interposed. I am still unable to get the new guide info, however. I have done all the steps outlined by sbwinter in their previous post to me, but still get a "no channel guide" message when I select the guide. Any ideas?

Marty
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
On the RTV:
First I did a power cycle (unplug/wait 10 sec/plug in)

Let me make a clarification here, for network connected RTV's there's no need to be power cycling or rebooting them. If you look at my instructions for good will: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81285#81285, it's only for dial-up connections that need to be rebooting the RTV, and I suggested doing that by holding the power button for 10 seconds, not power cycling the RTV. But, for Ethernet connected RTVs, there's no reason to be power cycling or rebooting them at all...

I'll ask Robert to update this information on the Perc website. I think he was trying to generalize between the different units, but since we're not even supporting dial-up units at this time, it probably needs to be changed anyways. And, at the very least, rebooting the RTV by holding the power button for 10 seconds, not power cycling the RTV...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: