Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RVT-4500, reset to factory, wont connect to LaHo...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: RVT-4500, reset to factory, wont connect to LaHo... Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 4500. I had the same error code as everyone else.
I assume that I was having replay problems, because this happens ever 1 to 2 year to me, so I reset it to factory settings. I was expecting it to connect normally to Replay's servers. Then I found out everyone else was having the same problem.

I am unable to get to the displayed (as seen on LaHo site) menu in my 4500, unless I unplug the LAN cable after it finishes rebooting. Then I get the manual network screen, then I can set the settings up for my net work (including the last IP address assigned to it), and as shown on the LaHo site - But then I get the same old error code.

1) Is there a way around the forced setup screen?
2) If I got a bad reboot, how do I re-reset it (I cant do xxx-zone (I forgot the 283 or whatever code)).

Bruce

Last edited by RTV-or-No-TV on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the error you're getting?

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

851e0001, I think?

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16883

Like this guys problem. Except that I did factory settings, and I am stuck at the beginning setup for a RePlayTV-4500.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you double check your network settings, which fixed that guy that you linked?

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My difference is that I did a factory reset. So, I'm stuck in the initial settings mode. When I get to the manual network screen, it seems to ignore what I put in there. As I get the same error.

I know the LAN (net) connection is good because I just updated my Sony TV firmware (unplugged the LAN cable from the 4500, and instead plugged the cable into the TV).

Using a network discovery tool (Fling):
IP: 192.168.0.118
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.0.1
DNS1: 207.58.129.219
DNS1: 207.58.129.219

Next I will thoroughly reboot the 4500 (power cycle rest, then unplug), then the network (the LAN).
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a subscription with LaHo? You can't get through a factory reset using LaHo unless you have a subscription. The ReplayTV cannot get through a factory reset without you being able to configure a ZIP code and lineups, etc., none of which you can do without having a subscription with LaHo. So, I can read that you are using LaHo, but I can't tell that you have a subscription with LaHo, which would be required to get through a factory reset...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the 7 day trial part. I contacted Perc who is at a loss as well. I'm all set up as far as I know. And I assume, Perc would have noticed something odd, if there had been an error on that/ there part...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, you selected a lineup on Perc as well?

And, you double checked that you have the correct 18-character serial number entered?

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I can ping from the home computer, thats on the same network...
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

And, you double checked that you have the correct 18-character serial number entered?

Henry

Where would I check the 18dig code. All others just checked.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find your serial number on the System Information page in the Menu of the RTV. It is 18 characters, no spaces.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTV-or-No-TV wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Henry

Where would I check the 18dig code. All others just checked.

You would use the first 18 characters in the 4-1-1-Zones screen, or in the System Information screen, or in the MyReplayTV screen (or LaHo screen if you've successfully connected to LaHo). And, it's typically on the sticker on the back of the unit. It starts with "RTV" followed by the model number of your unit, followed by 11 characters...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, he has a problem where the system won't boot. Even if he connects to DNNA, his system isn't responding properly. This isn't a LaHo issue (at least not yet).

He also has an unconventional network setup and the ISP could be playing games... but that wouldn't affect his system not booting normally.

I suggested he use Wireshark to figure out what the ReplayTV is trying to do before it hangs. (even if you just connect a PC directly the ReplayTV, you should see a DHCP request)

Robert
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WAG;

It expects to do an initial communications with DNNA. And since no one is home. It gets stuck. That's my guess.

B
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I read an OBTW, stating a specific plug LAN cable in, what to see x, unplug cable, what to see y, plug LAN back in just before z. For just did factory settings recovery (warrns or other guide recovery related).
I'm not sure where I read that (here, avforms, or elsewhere)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTV-or-No-TV wrote:
My WAG;

It expects to do an initial communications with DNNA. And since no one is home. It gets stuck. That's my guess.

That's exactly what I was explaining to you why you need to have a Perc subscription, because it wants to do an initial communications to get everything. But, it doesn't know that it isn't communicating with "DNNA" (the current company, not the original company). Anybody, including DNNA, can do this initial communications, if they know how to, and LaHo knows how to...

But, I'm confused between what you are saying and what Robert wrote. Are you still able to manually enter the network settings in your 4K and get an error when it tries to use those, or is your 4K stuck trying to boot?

And, did you double check your 18-character serial number on your Perc account?

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, I've been working with him via email.. he's having boot problems.. it never makes it to the LaHo server. (so serial number doesn't come into play yet)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Henry, I've been working with him via email.. he's having boot problems.. it never makes it to the LaHo server. (so serial number doesn't come into play yet)

Yes, you already wrote that. That's why I mentioned that you said one thing and he's saying another. He just posted that he's stuck communicating and you just posted that he can't boot the unit. So, I definitely want to know which one is correct...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it slightly differently...
It boots fine, it fails to do the initial communications needed...

After it finnishes booting, I get the quick setup screen.
If the network cable is NOT connected, it complains, it did not see a network connection, and to plug it in and it will reboot (I think it somehow remembers that I selected Network previously).

If I leave the cable in, through out, it tries to connect home and fails with the common message, unexpected error and the code.

If I let it boot with the cable in then disconnect it, after is asking about zip code, it times out and asks me to manually input the network info. And I do. Just like as pictured on the site (except with my IP and such). However the outcome is exactly the same, it tries to set the clock and then does something else and reports, unexpected error (just like the first phone home, described above).

I have another theory. I have wild blue for internet. To force customers into higher cost plans they cut them off complaining that you have it the FAP (mine is 15GB), my router reports total kbites at 7GB. As in there lieing. Anyway, once at the FAP limit, often they somehow block things like, my clock sync program, any windows updates and other background actives. Maybe there blocking this too?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand a lot more now!

I think you are going to have to get it to operate with unplugging the Ethernet cable from the very start. You have to get it into manual networking mode before proceeding. You could be correct that when you have the cable unplugged when you enter the ZIP code that it is not using those settings. The error you are reporting is that it is likely attempting to connect to DNNA in all these cases. Just to be sure, after you enter the ZIP code with the Ethernet cable unplugged and it times out and you enter the network information, did you plug the Ethernet cable back in before continuing with the network information?

I know I've had similar problem when I first played with this problem back in 2011 or before that when I was experimenting to see how one would setup a unit if DNNA wasn't in the picture. You may be correct that it is working differently for you because you had it setup previously, although the factory reset wipes that all out, so I'm not so sure. But, I distinctly remember that it made a difference booting up if there was a cable plugged in or not, that if there was no link status on the Ethernet connector, then it didn't even give the choice of networking, it only allowed dial up. So, I have two suggestions, I don't know how you have the other end of the ReplayTV's Ethernet cable connected, but if it goes to a separate Ethernet switch, you could just disconnect that switch from going to the router, and then boot it up so that it "see" the Ethernet connection but can't get an address. Or, if you have a spare Ethernet switch sitting around, then plug the Ethernet cable into that spare switch just to give the ReplayTV link status. Finally, if none of those approaches are feasible for you, then perhaps you can turn off the DHCP server in your router so that the ReplayTV can't get an address from it. But, one way or the other, if you can get the ReplayTV to boot up thinking that it can use the Ethernet but needs to get an address, then I think you can get it working. Just be sure that if any of the approaches you use have the ReplayTV's Ethernet disconnected from the router, then be sure and plug it back into the router when you get to the place of entering your networking information...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to all question, been there done that. I can get to what looks like a manual network setting screen, and I input the IP and DNS junk, but I get the same error message.

Wild Blue resets in a few days, I'll wait and see if they're blocking anything.

On the conspiracy side of things. DirectTV bought the rights to ReplayTV maybe they got them to send a poison pill to their users' Replays. Just a thought...

Bruce
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another OBTW (hinting to the Wild Blue being my problem, maybe):

So I went to update a product that I own (from were I work, dont ask, I'm not tellin). And I got an error message. So I tried a different products utility updater and it too complained about network error. I then connected elsewhere (like a FTP site) using a web site interface, and downloaded a zip file of the same thing, and this worked fine.
So when I got to work, I asked the IT guy, if we are having troubles. He said No.

Hint to software programmer's, "Unexpected result code (851e0001)." Doesn't help a lot...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, because of all your experiences I have painstakingly gone through every way I could think of to get a 4K connected to LaHo after a factory reset, and I published my results here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16919...

So, there was no question it wasn't very easy, but read those instructions very carefully and see if they don't help you get your unit going...

By the way, I left my 4K with getting the ZIP code and the Ethernet disconnected for a very long time, and didn't get a time out. I might assume that it would time out eventually, but I wasn't that patient and decided to go another approach. It could be that if I waited long enough and it did time out and allow me to manually enter my Ethernet settings, that it still might not work. I had my network sniffer on the whole time while I was doing these experiments just so I could see what was going on. If I had been able to get it to time out getting the ZIP code, then I could have told if there was a chance of getting it working that way or not. I suppose for some that might be the easier solution. But, I don't know how long you waited, I just wasn't willing to wait that long...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you've already read my 4K instructions, you need to go read them again! You're idea about letting the ZIP code time out got me curious, but I ended up finding a way that works which didn't involve letting the ZIP code time out. What I found was that you need to boot the unit with the Ethernet cable connected, and then disconnect the Ethernet cable when you go into the Quick Setup, select Ethernet and let it time out trying to verify, then enter the network information for LaHo manually, reconnect the Ethernet cable, and then Continue with the Quick setup...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
OK, if you've already read my 4K instructions, you need to go read them again! You're idea about letting the ZIP code time out got me curious, but I ended up finding a way that works which didn't involve letting the ZIP code time out. What I found was that you need to boot the unit with the Ethernet cable connected, and then disconnect the Ethernet cable when you go into the Quick Setup, select Ethernet and let it time out trying to verify, then enter the network information for LaHo manually, reconnect the Ethernet cable, and then Continue with the Quick setup...

Henry

I have not read your latest instructions, but will.

Your latest directions above is exactly what I've been doing.

I have reread your second above here directions and I will let it boot with the router internet cable disconnected. This I forgot to try...
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: temp Reply with quote

re: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16919

I will reread this a couple more times. I think this is what I've tried. But like I said I will read this a couple more times, in case I missed something.

I'm on Wile Blue (internet via satellite), they block stuff, as you reach 1/2 of the FAP (limit on internet use) of 15GB (half is 7.5Gb - I'm at that amount). The other thing is that being operating via satellite, I have 600mS to 1500mS (1.5 seconds) delay (latency). Ping most commonly reports 700mS. What's unclear to me is, is this round trip?

My point is if the software thinks that it should be getting response in a timely manner, and is not, it may time out. So I make sure your not timing out LoHa service side (set it for 3-4S).

Or maybe, it just that WildBlue is blocking me as I stated before...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems unlikely to me that your provider could do much to make this connection test fail. The way that Internet communications work already allows for the provider to limit stuff without harm. However, it should be easy enough to determine whether the provider is the problem or something else...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried the disconnect the internet, but leave 4500 connected to the LAN (connected to the Router still). Same error message. I read your other post:
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16919
Frustrated...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTV-or-No-TV wrote:
I tried the disconnect the internet, but leave 4500 connected to the LAN (connected to the Router still). Same error message. I read your other post:
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16919
Frustrated...

Please quit posting in both places. Posting only in this topic will suffice...

You've never posted what error you're actually getting, you posted what you thought it was, but not what you actually saw. So, please provide the information of exactly what happens, what the RTV screen says, like does it say Connecting or Verifying or both, how much does it count down, etc. exactly...

If you can tell me what your 18-character 4K serial number is, I can look at see what's happening on the server...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about responding to you in both places...

(from memory) I entered IP from a screen like that show on LaHo site. Next screen asks for zip. and I chose a random made up Zip, it said something like connecting to replay servers, setting click, then "Unexpected result code 851e0001," I believe. This is the same each and every time I try. Once I got it to fill in the IP stuff, and I had to only change the DNS1 and 2.

18 digit 4500 sn. Later tonight when I get home...

Thank Your for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: