Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting 4K Connected to LaHo From A Factory Reset

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Getting 4K Connected to LaHo From A Factory Reset Reply with quote

The 4K seems to be very finicky about going through the Quick Setup without ReplayTV operating properly. The current problem seems to be that it gets an error setting the time, I have looked at the time response from ReplayTV, and it really doesn't look bad, but the 4K doesn't like it for some reason and stops at that point. I'd have to examine it much more closely to see why the 4K doesn't like it, but is seems irrelevant since there's nothing I can do about it. The main thing is that I can see that the 4K requests the time and then simply disconnects and gives the error, it doesn't continue the connection for some reason...

But, the good news is that I have figured out a fairly simple procedure to get the 4K through the Quick Setup configuring it for use with LaHo!

What you want to do is to boot up the 4K normally with the Ethernet cable connected. Let it get all the way to the Quick Setup screen. At this point, disconnect the Ethernet cable and go through the Quick Setup, selecting the Ethernet connection. Then it will go through a verification process, which may either count down for two or three minutes or be very brief. If it is very brief (and maybe even if it isn't very brief), you may get a screen that says that there was a problem connecting to the service, make sure that your router is setup properly, make sure that your router is properly connected to your ISP, and select Try Again. Then, with the Ethernet cable still disconnected, select Try Again, and then you should get a two minute countdown, which you need to let expire.

Once the timer has expired, then you should get a manual network setting screen. At this point you should reconnect the Ethernet cable and go through the normal setting procedures for connecting to LaHo. Either the network information will be filled in with most the information and you'll only have to edit the DNS, or all the information will be blank and you'll have to enter it all. But, the main thing is to follow the instructions for the LaHo connection, setting the DNS for the LaHo DNS address, and then press Continue like the LaHo instructions specify (make sure that you have the Ethernet cable connected).

If you enter the LaHo settings and you aren't connected to the Internet or you make a mistake, then you will end up with your Ethernet settings likely being cleared and you'll have to start over...

If you've done everything correctly, then it will proceed through the initial setup. It will take a very long time in the initial connection because it will be getting updates from LaHo due to the unit being reset. This would have been true when connecting to ReplayTV some time in the past, but wasn't true lately because ReplayTV stopped providing updates for some reason. So, it may seem unusual that the initial setup is taking so long, but it is because LaHo is operating properly and completely setting up your 4K...

Henry

--- rmeden here with a step-by-step summary of Henry's solution.

• Boot the ReplayTV with the network cable connected. Let it go the Quick Setup Screen.
  • Disconnect the Ethernet cable
  • Let Quick Setup run.. it will fail (may take a few minutes)
  • You'll get a screen asking if your router is set up properly. -- Try again (it will fail, the network cable is unplugged!)
  • At this point you should get a manual network setup screen
  • Connect the Ethernet cable
  • Enter a subnet,gateway, and unused IP address as appropriate for your LAN
  • Enter LaHo's DNS for DNS1 207.58.129.219 (leave DNS2 blank)
  • let setup try again.
  • At this point the setup should run normally and your unit will be activated.
  • If you plan on using WiRNS, you can now point DNS to your WiRNS computer.
  • If you're using LaHo, you can continue the LaHo setup.
  • If you're using neither, your timezone will be in UTC, but the time should be correct. (you need LaHo or WiRNS to set the timezone)

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Getting 4K Connected to LaHo From A Factory Reset Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
The current problem seems to be that it gets an error setting the time, I have looked at the time response from ReplayTV, and it really doesn't look bad, but the 4K doesn't like it for some reason and stops at that point. I'd have to examine it much more closely to see why the 4K doesn't like it, but is seems irrelevant since there's nothing I can do about it. The main thing is that I can see that the 4K requests the time and then simply disconnects and gives the error, it doesn't continue the connection for some reason...

I realized after I posted this that there are nice NTP utilities out there, so I ran one to check ReplayTV's time response, and this is what I got:
Code:
ntpdate -q ntp-production.replaytv.net
server 64.124.73.105, stratum 16, offset -5.087856, delay 0.07640
 3 Aug 13:25:04 ntpdate[9388066]: no server suitable for synchronization found
So, it seems like there is definitely something wrong with their time response, which is a real shame...

Henry
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those only reading this thread, please see:
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16901
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: