Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaHo Guide Credits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: LaHo Guide Credits Reply with quote

Why does the program guide info provided via LaHo have the actors names sorted alphabetically (by first name)?

Since the ReplayTV only displays a few actors names per show, it means you can no longer see who the lead actors are. You just get Alfred Nobody, Beverly Neverheardofher and Charles Notimportant.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem.. it has to do with the self hosting the data direct service.

(edit)... I just though of an easy fix! (also solves genre issue). Now I just need to find a few hours to setup a dev DB and environment to test it.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix was implemented this morning (on both PERC/DD and SD/DD).

All Genres are now reported (should help zones)
Actors are now in the order I get them (importance)

Looking at test data, there's a chance the actors were already in the proper order, but it could have just been random (now it's part of the key). Once you poll today, see if it's correct on today's' listings.

If it's still wrong, then we can look at the LaHo/WiRNS side to see if they are maintaining the priority.
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, all shows are still coming through with the actors alphabetized by first name.

Lead actor for Bladerunner: Brion James
Blade: Arly Jover
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Anthony Mackie
John Wick: Adrieanne Palicki

etc.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

Please take a look at the LaHo code. I'm pretty sure SD-DD and PERC-DD now honor Gracenote's priority for the credits.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Please take a look at the LaHo code. I'm pretty sure SD-DD and PERC-DD now honor Gracenote's priority for the credits.

LaHo just takes in the order it gets them...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the next step is to give the full details of an example and we can all look at it.

National Network ( don't use a local network!)
Movie Title
Date/Time (pick something a few days out so we have time to figure it out)
ReplayTV description
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try Riddick on Cinemax East, Saturday 8/22 at 4:05 - 6:10 PM CT.

Zap2It says: "Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, wanted criminal Riddick must confront two teams of mercenaries, one of whom is led by a man from his past.
Vin Diesel, Karl Urban, Jordi Mollà, Katee Sackhoff, Bokeem Woodbine"

ReplayTV says: "Wanted criminal Riddick confronts two teams of mercenaries. Andreas Apergis, Bokeem Woodbine, Conrad Pla, Danny Blanco Hall, Jordi Molla, Karl Urban"
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - where does LaHo get its guide info from? Not only does Zap2it have a different description, but TV Guide, Comcast and TitanTV are all different from those two and each other too.

The old RTV service used to be the same as Zap (Tribune media), since I used to send errors to them. But Gracenote is also still the source for TitanTV (I think), so not sure why they would be different. Comcast used to be the same as TV Guide, so I am not sure what happened there. I have found some of the same errors on Comcast as on Zap though, but not on RTV.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
Just curious - where does LaHo get its guide info from? Not only does Zap2it have a different description, but TV Guide, Comcast and TitanTV are all different from those two and each other too.

The old RTV service used to be the same as Zap (Tribune media), since I used to send errors to them. But Gracenote is also still the source for TitanTV (I think), so not sure why they would be different. Comcast used to be the same as TV Guide, so I am not sure what happened there. I have found some of the same errors on Comcast as on Zap though, but not on RTV.

LaHo is still using the same service, but we've made improvements to make it much more like ReplayTV due to people actually using it. Maybe you didn't notice that when you first started this switch over, that the show descriptions were so long that often they had ellipses on the end of them, and no actors displaying. It wouldn't have been so bad except that a user complained that they couldn't even do an actor search and find those shows, that apparently the ReplayTV was very unhappy with having such long descriptions...

Anyway, we made improvements to the Gracenote data that is being sent specifically to WiRNS and LaHo, that now the descriptions are the ones that ReplayTV was using, which means they fit on the screen and actor searches work properly, and we also added the premiere/finale information. There was something posted about it all on here somewhere...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
Let's try Riddick on Cinemax East, Saturday 8/22 at 4:05 - 6:10 PM CT.

Zap2It says: "Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, wanted criminal Riddick must confront two teams of mercenaries, one of whom is led by a man from his past.
Vin Diesel, Karl Urban, Jordi Mollà, Katee Sackhoff, Bokeem Woodbine"

ReplayTV says: "Wanted criminal Riddick confronts two teams of mercenaries. Andreas Apergis, Bokeem Woodbine, Conrad Pla, Danny Blanco Hall, Jordi Molla, Karl Urban"

I thought I would check what you're getting from LaHo compared to what I'm getting from WiRNS, but, unfortunately, I can't find that exact same show in my guide. The closest one I can find is this one in Spanish:

Code:
The Chronicles of Riddick
Description: Un fugitivo enfrenta a un gobernante invasor y a su ejercito.
Year: 2004
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Star Rating: **
Actor(s): Vin Diesel, Colm Feore, Thandie Newton, Judi Dench, Karl Urban, Alexa Davalos, Linus Roache, Yorick van Wageningen, Nick Chinlund, Keith David
Producer(s): Ted Field, David Womark
Director(s): David Twohy

Versus Zap2It:

Code:
The Chronicles of Riddick
(2004)

Mientras huye de mercenarios, un fugitivo termina en un planeta amenazado por un dictador y su violento ejército.
Vin Diesel, Colm Feore, Thandie Newton, Judi Dench, Karl Urban

Where I can at least see that the actors are not in alphabetical order, if not nothing else...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Henry,

OK, I just did some SQL queries like LaHo does versus how WiRNS does it, and one of the keywords in the way that LaHo queries the database causes the credits to be sorted alphabetically. If I add and remove this SQL keyword, it goes back and forth between being sorted and not being sorted. So, it looks like it's LaHo sorting the credits after all. Or, at least, the way that LaHo is querying the database is causing the credits to be returned sorted instead of in their priority order...

I'll have to see about reworking that code...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
Just curious - where does LaHo get its guide info from? Not only does Zap2it have a different description, but TV Guide, Comcast
and TitanTV are all different from those two and each other too.

As Henry said, we get it from Gracenote, which owns Zap2it. The data feed has about 3-6 different descriptions to choose from of various lengths and styles. Henry has picked the best one for the field length he has to work with.

It's interesting to see how Gracenote deals with the different lengths. It doesn't appear to be an automatic truncation, but editing by a human. That explains the high cost and high quality!
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen where on some really really obscure movies, the ReplayTV description exactly matched the description on the film's IMDb page.

This was most noticeable when the IMDb description was bad.

And then there were the cases where there are two completely different movies with the same title, and the ReplayTV had the same description for both.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
rmeden wrote:
Henry,

OK, I just did some SQL queries like LaHo does versus how WiRNS does it, and one of the keywords in the way that LaHo queries the database causes the credits to be sorted alphabetically. If I add and remove this SQL keyword, it goes back and forth between being sorted and not being sorted. So, it looks like it's LaHo sorting the credits after all. Or, at least, the way that LaHo is querying the database is causing the credits to be returned sorted instead of in their priority order...

I'll have to see about reworking that code...

I have updated LaHo to (hopefully) work correctly with retaining the crew ordering...

Due to the nature that the ReplayTV downloads guide data, this change will not be refected in all of your shows, but it will over time. Or, you can use 2-4-3-Zones to Clear Channel Guide (just once) and then re-download your entire Channel Guide by manually net connecting...

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an immediate test, I cleared the listing data from DVArchive and re-fetched.

I see no change to the credit order on any show; it is all still strictly alphabetical by complete name.

Example: THMAX on Sunday, 8/23 6:35 PM CT has credits for Star Trek: First Contact as: Alfre Woodard, Alice Krige, Brent Spiner, Dwight Schultz, Gates McFadden.

Do we need to wait for LaHo to fetch new data?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
Do we need to wait for LaHo to fetch new data?

No, LaHo fetches data on the fly, there's nothing stored in it at all...

So, on the off chance it was DVA caching the information in some way, I just tried net connecting my 4K to LaHo and checked tonight's shows, and I don't see any difference either...

Looks like I have to get into it deeper...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I updated and tested LaHo retaining the crew order. Dang if there aren't a lot of behind the scenes things with SQL that cause it to sort!

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now attempting to fetch the listings via DVArchive just times out.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found out that all that fancy SQL stuff was to make it perform better. Unfortunately, the only way to make it perform well is to allow it to sort data internally. Otherwise it takes a really long time for it to figure out where to insert data if there's no order to it. So, when I took out everything that was causing it to sort on its own, then the performance went way down. So, I had to come up with a different idea, and I completely rewrote it so that it doesn't depend on the database any longer and I could put all the "special" keywords back in so that it could perform well internally again...

So, it should be all better now!

And, as a bonus, I added for it to allow all the "funny" foreign characters to get passed through, so now you will be able to see all the foreign actor names and titles and such, and all the funny quotes and double quotes!

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're talking!

Testing with DVArchive had no timeouts, and the actor list looked good for every show I looked at.

We'll see what the ReplayTV does after the next net connect.

Thanks a lot to you and Robert for all your hard work. LaHo is working better than the real ReplayTV mothership ever did.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
LaHo is working better than the real ReplayTV mothership ever did.

Well, that's quite a statement! I doubt it's better that it EVER did...

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

No, really.
  • For years I've been plagued by a toxic channel, that caused the ReplayTV to reboot when scrolling the guide. With LaHo I can finally block the channel from being downloaded.
  • With LaHo I can block large swaths of channels that I never use (or don't even have access to), which definitely improves performance in the guide -- even more than hiding the channels on the ReplayTV.
  • LaHo lets me schedule the net connects to avoid prime time. The problem has been that the ReplayTV doesn't have enough cpu power to watch a recording, record another show and do a net connect simultaneously, so a net connect in those conditions caused all kinds of problems, including non-responsiveness, playback stuttering, glitches in the recording and spontaneous reboots. This alone is worth the subscription cost!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

No, really.
  • For years I've been plagued by a toxic channel, that caused the ReplayTV to reboot when scrolling the guide. With LaHo I can finally block the channel from being downloaded.
  • With LaHo I can block large swaths of channels that I never use (or don't even have access to), which definitely improves performance in the guide -- even more than hiding the channels on the ReplayTV.
  • LaHo lets me schedule the net connects to avoid prime time. The problem has been that the ReplayTV doesn't have enough cpu power to watch a recording, record another show and do a net connect simultaneously, so a net connect in those conditions caused all kinds of problems, including non-responsiveness, playback stuttering, glitches in the recording and spontaneous reboots. This alone is worth the subscription cost!

Well, that's a lot! I didn't think of "better" in that regard, what you're talking about is features completely behind the scenes. ReplayTV did not have a user interface in order to configure any of those items. I'm glad that you consider having your Perc account as a separate UI interface a bonus!

By the way, the ReplayTV unit is very careful about net connecting while things are going on, especially that it knows when it is or is going to be recording. It tends to perform its net connects during idle periods on its own. It certainly can end up doing the net connect while the unit is not idle, but it doesn't schedule them that way, it tries to wait for the most part...

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
By the way, the ReplayTV unit is very careful about net connecting while things are going on, especially that it knows when it is or is going to be recording. It tends to perform its net connects during idle periods on its own. It certainly can end up doing the net connect while the unit is not idle, but it doesn't schedule them that way, it tries to wait for the most part...

That's not my experience with an RTV5080 connected via Ethernet.

It does try to perform the weekly maintenance reboot while idle.

But the daily net connect is almost exactly 25 hours after the previous connect, regardless of whether there is a scheduled recording going on or any other activity. It never delays it.

The only exception is after a reboot, the next net connect will be at a random time, or using some algorithm for which I haven't discerned the pattern.
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
And, as a bonus, I added for it to allow all the "funny" foreign characters to get passed through, so now you will be able to see all the foreign actor names and titles and such, and all the funny quotes and double quotes

After the ReplayTV's net connect this afternoon, the credits order is corrected on all shows.

Accented characters are broken on shows for the next day or so (e.g. Chloë Grace Moretz displays as ChloĀ«, André Benjamin displays as AndrĀ©), but later in the week they display properly.

Shows with double-quotes in the description are weird: they have a different style for the open and closing quotes, like ``this". (Example: Serenity.)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
Accented characters are broken on shows for the next day or so (e.g. Chloë Grace Moretz displays as ChloĀ«, André Benjamin displays as AndrĀ©), but later in the week they display properly.

Please keep an eye on this and make sure they all clear up. Remember that the ReplayTV doesn't update the complete guide every net connect, so it will take some time for all the shows to get updated. But, if the problem persists, please let me know...

mschmitt wrote:
Shows with double-quotes in the description are weird: they have a different style for the open and closing quotes, like ``this". (Example: Serenity.)

That is how they are supposed to be. Check out Zap2it and you can copy and past the show description into Notepad to more easily see that's exactly how they are...

And, by the way, that's the way they've been even before the change I made. None of those characters are outside of the "normal" character set, so they were never changed in any way...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how zones are working now that I provide all the genre data?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:

This is the way it works with the guide data that we receive, so people using Schedules Direct data or looking at guides on the Web would be used to this. However, I can certainly see where people just having to switch to LaHo may find it unusual. It's not like it's hurting anything, it shows up that way in lots of places (check your video provider's guide), but I thought it would make LaHo nicer if I could better emulate how ReplayTV did this. I went back and looked at shows before July 15th and after July 15th to see how this changed, and I have enhanced LaHo to now generate double quotes more like ReplayTV did it...

Henry
barmar
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
But the daily net connect is almost exactly 25 hours after the previous connect, regardless of whether there is a scheduled recording going on or any other activity. It never delays it.

The only exception is after a reboot, the next net connect will be at a random time, or using some algorithm for which I haven't discerned the pattern.
That was my experience, too. For a little while I was writing down the times of the net connects, to see if I could discern the pattern of the first connect after the reboot, but I never figured it out.

It's nice having the LaHo feature that schedules them for a time range when I'm not likely to be watching anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: