Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4040 stopped playing from 4504's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: 4040 stopped playing from 4504's Reply with quote

I have 3 replays currently on my home network and when I first hooked them up all three could see each other and play shows on the other boxes. About 2 weeks ago my 4040 in the living room would not play shows recorded on either of the 4504's on my home network. Sometimes the other box's would show up but you could not access the recordings, this is the same if I try and play a show recorded on the 4040 from either 4504. Both 4504's can see each other and can play shows recorded on the other 4504. Also the 4040 does not always automaticly connect to LaHo daily and I have to do a forced net connect, when I do this it takes a lot longer to download guide info. Any thoughts or suggestions?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting the network back to automatic on all the units.
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

After I posted my question about my 4040 not working right I kept on rebooting it and my router and then all my shows on the 4040 disappeared. I found an earlier post saying the hard drive was failing so right now I am running spinrite on it to see if it can fix it. I had another 4504 that I had just bought on ebay and am now using it in the living room to access our other shows on the 2 4504's in other parts of the house. Thanks for the tip on changing back to automatic on the network setting, by the time I saw that I had already pulled the hard drive and started spinrite on it. If that does not work I will have to learn to use extract rtv5
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: extract rtv5 help please Reply with quote

I ran spinrite on my hard drive and put it back in my 4040 and it boots up but the shows are not showing in the guide. I removed the drive and hooked it up to my computer and tried to run extract rtv5 but nothing happened. I also installed dv archive and it saw the recorded shows on my other replays. I then put the hard drive back into the 4040 and dv archive sees the 4040 but does not show any recorded shows on it. Am I doing something wrong? as soon as I click ok to run extract rtv5 it quickly goes away. Any advice is appreciated.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: extract rtv5 help please Reply with quote

puluke wrote:
as soon as I click ok to run extract rtv5 it quickly goes away. Any advice is appreciated.

Read these instructions: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61762#61762. In addition, using a newer Windows operating system, you'll probably need to run the command prompt as Administrator, as explained here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73179#73179...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Thanks for the info, I am not good at all running things from the command prompt so will wait until my son can help me out. I will let you know if he is successful.
Bruce
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Brian, Bruce's Son.

I have attempted to run the extract rtv5 program. It has identified the Replay drive, and we can see what appears to be system files in the first partition. But it is not finding or seeing any files or programs in partition 2.

Is there anything else we can try? Or is it time to move on?

Thank for all of your help.

Here is a screenshot of some of what we were doing:

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to be specifying the drive name, as you did with the very first command you listed, it works fine finding the drive for you. But, that's up to you...

You really haven't run any commands that list shows. The first one you ran was to create the XML files necessary to use the show files once they are extracted. However, if you want to see the show names themselves, you need to run something like "extract_rtv5 -dsv". You can get a help screen by just running "extract_rtv5" with no options...

However, since we already know that the shows are gone from the listing, it would be expected that using the -ds option isn't going to show any shows. What you need to be doing is looking for deleted shows. You can first try looking for deleted snapshot files by doings something like "extract_rtv5 -udsd" to see if you can find anything that has information about deleted snapshot files. If that doesn't turn up anything, then try "extract_rtv5 -udd". If you can get either of those to work, then we can talk about what to do next...

As far as getting the shows themselves, you want to run "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv" to see if there are any shows still available on the hard drive that haven't been deleted. If they are all deleted, then you need to run "extract_rtv5 -p2 -u" to see what deleted shows you can find on the hard drive. Once you've done that, again we can discuss what to do next...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry,

I ran both extract_rtv5 -udd and extract_rtv5 -p2 -u

Both found found files. What can we do now?

-Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the "extract_rtv5 -p2 -u" gave you an idea of how many deleted shows it found and how much space they are going to take (it should have given you a total number of files and total number of bytes). Then, you can use "extract_rtv5 -ur" to have it attempt to extract ALL of the deleted shows into the directory that you are running from (you might want to make a directory to restore into, or have another drive to restore into, then get into that other directory or drive, and if in a directory under extract_rtv5, just run "..\extract_rtv5", or if on another drive, just get on the other drive to where you want to store the shows, and run "c:extract_rtv5")...

Hopefully, after you have extracted all the deleted shows, then you'll be able to use the -udx option to make show information about the shows so that you'll be able to view them more easily. Or, you can just select each extracted MPG file and just view it manually...

There is a thread somewhere about another user going through trying to recover all his deleted shows and how I helped him through it. However, just now searching, I can't find it, it may be on AVSForum. Anyway, I was hoping I could find the thread so it would help you out, but I'll keep helping you through this as much as I can...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where we are at.

After running "xtract_rtv5 -p2 -u", it came back with 577 files

Then I ran "extract_rtv5 -ur". After running for about 16 hours it downloaded 500 files, then it came up with a duplicate file and wanted to know if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed in N, the program then stopped.

I ran the command again and now it is asking if it wants to overwrite each file that was previously extracted. This is not an ideal option. I can move the files to a different directory but it would then need to extract all files. Basically starting all over.

I decided to run the -UDX command to see if it would get the show information. The program crashes when it gets to the same point, the fifth file it attempts to write.

At this point, I am re-extracting all of the files. I will let it run until I hear otherwise. When I get to a point where it asks to overwrite, I will select "Y" and hopefully it will continue.

-Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see in the code that it aborts if you don't answer 'Y', and I'll have to fix that...

As far as the "crash" with -udx, I'll have to look into that. I'm not totally sure what I can do about that because it doesn't really show what happened, but I'll see what I can do...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a new version of extract_rtv5 on SourceForge which will skip overwriting extracted unlinked files...

I also did my best guess on correcting the problem with trying to create show descriptions from unlinked description files...

So, download the new one and see if that works better or not...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing that, Henry.

I have downloaded all of the programs.

Unfortunately, I get the same error at the same spot running the new version. It creates three XML files, and then crashes while working on the fourth.

After examining the the XML files, two appear to be correct and one seems to have some wonky data. Perhaps the data may be corrupted or is throwing out some special characters that might be causing problems.

Here is what the one bad XML file looks like:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
<DVARCHIVE_SHOW>
  <REPLAY_CATEGORY ID="0" NAME="Uncategorized" PUBLIC="TRUE" READ_ONLY="FALSE">
    <COMMENT/>
    <REPLAY_CHANNEL ID="1442861482" NAME="Extracted Shows" PUBLIC="TRUE" READ_ONLY="FALSE">
      <COMMENT/>
      <REPLAY_SHOW EPISODE="Grave Diggers 2015" ID="1148155424" MEDIA_TYPE="MPEG_RTV43" TITLE="Grave Diggers 2015">
        <EPISODE_SUMMARY/>
        <ACTORS/>
        <GUEST_STARS/>
        <PRODUCERS/>
        <DIRECTOR>ncludes: a 40.5&quot; Zombie Green Katana with Certificate, 10 dealer dozen tacticals.</DIRECTOR>
        <RECORDING_INFO DURATION_IN_SECONDS="0" GOP_COUNT="4" IS_GUARANTEED="FALSE" IS_MANUALLY_RECORDED="FALSE" IS_PPV="FALSE" IS_REPEAT="FALSE" RECORDED_AT="13:04" RECORDED_ON="2006/05/20" RECORD_QUALITY="UNKNOWN" TV_CHANNEL_NUM="30067" TV_CHANNEL_STATION_ID="s topics such as why God tells people to do crazy things." TV_CHANNEL_STATION_NAME=" why God tells people to do crazy things." TV_CHANNEL_STATION_TMS="1684632419" FLAGS="808204592" SUZUKI="ncludes: a 40.5" Zombie Green Katana with Certificate, 10 dealer dozen tacticals."/>
        <MULTI_PART IS_MULTI_PART="FALSE"/>
        <TV_RATINGS TV_RATING="TV-14" TV_SUB_RATING="V,L,FV"/>
        <MOVIE_INFO IS_MOVIE="TRUE" MPAA_RATING="AO" MPAA_SUB_RATING="N,RP" RELEASE_YEAR="257" STARS_RATING="***************************************" MOVIE_FLAGS="1369476921078907137"/>
        <LOCAL_SHOW_INFO BASE_FILENAME="1148155424" IS_FILENAME_CUSTOM="TRUE" IS_PUBLIC="TRUE" IS_READ_ONLY="FALSE">
          <COMMENT/>
        </LOCAL_SHOW_INFO>
      </REPLAY_SHOW>
    </REPLAY_CHANNEL>
  </REPLAY_CATEGORY>
</DVARCHIVE_SHOW>

NOTE: for the sake of this message, I deleted about 950 additional stars from the star rating.

Last edited by puluke on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian or Bruce!

I'm not sure what I can do about "bad" data. That's the problem with deleted files, that the space that the occupied can be reused, and then the contents don't make sense any longer. It's cetainly funny in this case because there appears to be some information that's correct and some that's garbage. But, that's pretty typical since the show information crosses disk sectors...

Did you have any luck using -uds options? That would be a lot better because that would be a complete snapshot of all the shows at some period of time...

I'll have to think more about other ways around using garbage show information. The check I added was that the information itself was the correct size, which meant that the header itself had to be correct. And, the fact that I can see some "good infomration" in the XML file means that indeed the file starts out correct. It would be a lot harder to be able to tell that the data goes south somewhere into it. But, without something, there's no way to skip over this one and see if you can find more show information, which will make it harder for you to deal with these recovered shows...

I'll have to think on it a bit. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to add -rd options, to allow you to pick and choose which unlinked file to try to recover show information from. Then you could just get a list of all the deleted show information files, and try them one at a time to see what information they have. That way, if one of the "blows up" extract_rtv5, you can just go onto the next...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you have any luck using -uds options?

When running this command, it processes for a while and then terminates at a certain point.

I think we are okay with just getting the programs without the program information. We can go through them to see what's there.

I'm just not sure where to put the extracted files. Currently they are in a separate folder. I'm sure they need to be somewhere specific. There are currently no programs on that drive that are being detected by the DDVarchive program.

-Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puluke wrote:
Quote:
Did you have any luck using -uds options?

When running this command, it processes for a while and then terminates at a certain point.

It should be similar to what you've posted above, that it should show files that it is skipping over because they aren't snapshot files, but then it should show a snapshot file that it is processing, and maybe that's where it terminates, kind of like your other crash...

I'm hoping I can put in some kind of validity checking so that it can determine what deleted file are still "whole", and maybe that will make things go better...

puluke wrote:
I think we are okay with just getting the programs without the program information. We can go through them to see what's there.

I'm just not sure where to put the extracted files. Currently they are in a separate folder. I'm sure they need to be somewhere specific. There are currently no programs on that drive that are being detected by the DDVarchive program.

You can certainly play the MPG files with a player to see what's there, but in order to "see" them with DVArchive, you'll need to be able to get the XML files using one of the -.d...x options, that's what DVArchive needs to be able to show them. And, you'll also need to extract the .ndx files for each show as well. So, when you are done, then you should end up with 3 files that you just put anywhere together, and then set a path to the files in DVArchive. Or, just put the 3 files in DVA's configured path and it will show them from there. If you can't get the show information to create the XML files, then you can have DVArchive import the show files and it will ask you to fill in some simple information about the show so that it can at least serve them. If you can't recover the other file, the .ndx file, you might want to just play the MPG files with a movie player and watch them that way...

I hope you've seen this post, http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61762#61762, which give a little bit of information about the whole process...

I just changed my post because I realized that you have a 4K, and it is a little different. If you can't get access to any snapshot files and have to use the FiledArray files to get the show information, you'll probably need to use the -.dx43 option to create the XML files for 4Ks...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it took me a little while to finish making more changes to extract_rtv5. I have posted a new version which will hopefully take care of your crashes when trying to recover the deleted show information. Please let me know how it works out. I would think that you should definitely see a difference that it doesn't output those crazy XML files, it should skip those instead, and should say that it is skipping those for various reasons...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

I ran the -UDX command with youir latest version and it ran without crashing. It created 86 XML files. From what I saw, most of the skipped files was about the channels.

I took those files and put them with the MPG and NDX files. I pointed DVArchive to the folder and it displayed the shows correctly.

I even went into the other room and saw the shows on another Replay unit. They played fine.

Although we have shows, many are still not showing because of the bad data files (i believe). But Dad can watch the raw MPG files if he wants to.

We have extracted:
285 MPG Files
290 NDX Files
86 XML Files

Only 70 programs are listed on DVArchive program.

Your efforts with the programs and your guidance and patience walking us through this project are very much appreciated. I have found it very interesting learning about the inner workings of the ReplayTV data file system.

So thanks again... -Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puluke wrote:
We have extracted:
285 MPG Files
290 NDX Files
86 XML Files

Only 70 programs are listed on DVArchive program.

I suspect that you only have 70 sets of all three files. They all three have the have the same file name, and you have to have all three files...

Now that you've had luck with the -udx option, you might want to try using the -udsx option. If it can find even one deleted snapshot file, you will likely recover many more of the XML files, versus that the -udx option has to find them one at a time (the snapshot file has ALL of the descriptions in a single file, and it also has more detailed information about the shows themselves). So, I'll wish you luck that using the -udsx option will do the trick for you!

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you might want to try using the -udsx option.

It didn't create any new files, so I'm guessing it didn't find anything.

-Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puluke wrote:
Quote:
you might want to try using the -udsx option.

It didn't create any new files, so I'm guessing it didn't find anything.

Oh, you said that it had crashed previously when you used the -uds option, so that should have meant that it found some deleted snapshot files, although, obviously at least one was bad since it crashed. I was really hoping that if you could find at least one good snapshot file, then you'd be pretty much set. Oh well...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, you said that it had crashed previously when you used the -uds option

The -uds option runs through about 129,000 sectors and then ends. I thought this might have been a problem because when I extracted the program files, it cycled through 1.9 million sectors. All of the other options that I have done also goes to 129k sectors. So I don't think it was crashing. It was not throwing out any errors or crash screens.

I think we are good with what we have. -Brian
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puluke wrote:
Quote:
Oh, you said that it had crashed previously when you used the -uds option

The -uds option runs through about 129,000 sectors and then ends. I thought this might have been a problem because when I extracted the program files, it cycled through 1.9 million sectors. All of the other options that I have done also goes to 129k sectors. So I don't think it was crashing. It was not throwing out any errors or crash screens.

Oh, I see! Yes, that is the correct place for it to end (I suppose versus the word "terminates", which I thought meant something bad happened). It isn't sectors, it is clusters, so there are far less of them than sectors (a cluster is a group of sectors). But, even for the show files themselves, it is still clusters instead of sectors. For the show information files, that is on the first partition, which is only 500MB, which is a fixed size. Versus that for the shows themselves that you extracted, they are on the second partition, which is pretty much the rest of the hard drive, which should be tens of gigabytes. So, yes, the cluster counter should count much higher for the second partition than the first partition simply because it is so much bigger storage space...

Henry
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that makes sense.

Thanks again for walking us through this. We wouldn't have been able to recover what we did without your help.

-Brian
puluke
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks from Bruce Reply with quote

Henry Thanks for all your help! My son Brian was able to recover I think most if not all the shows I had on the Replay 4040! Thanks to you I am watching shows I thought I had lost.

Take Care,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: