Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replays not connecting to server or communicating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Replays not connecting to server or communicating Reply with quote

Neither of my RTV are downloading channel guide. And my 5040 is not playing from my 5080. If I change from my 5040 to my 5080 all I see is a blank screen, it has the name of my machine in the upper right but nothing is showing. If I turn on my 5080 all the programs are there and it is recording what is scheduled. I had the same thing happen with the 5080 no showing the 5040 recorded shows. The first time this happened I connected to the server and everything worked, I don't know if this means anything or is it just a coincident.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting networking back to automatic.
(at this point, it won't break LaHo)
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Try setting networking back to automatic.
(at this point, it won't break LaHo)

Thanks, that worked, both machines connected to server and when I change the recorded show listings the 5080 listings show up now.
Don't know why this problem happened or why changing to automatic fixed it but am grateful for the fix, really appreciate your knowledge and advice.
The Robman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you reserve a static IP address for each of your RTV units in your router's DCHP server? If not, what happens is the router will randomly assign IP addresses to each of the devices that are connected to it. But, when you switched to Manual mode in your RTV units, you locked in whichever IP address was assigned at the time. So, my guess is that your router assigned a different IP address to each of your RTV units.
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Did you reserve a static IP address for each of your RTV units in your router's DCHP server? If not, what happens is the router will randomly assign IP addresses to each of the devices that are connected to it. But, when you switched to Manual mode in your RTV units, you locked in whichever IP address was assigned at the time. So, my guess is that your router assigned a different IP address to each of your RTV units.

I have no idea how to do that, I have been running a network set up for around five years and have had no problem. Did going to LaHo and manual set up do something to cause this changing of the IP address on both machines?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bug in the ReplayTV networking code.

My understanding of it is if you have a manual network config, it still requests and uses a DHCP IP address eventually, but the display still shows the manual config.

For single units, this isn't a problem.. but I think when you have multiple units, they advertise the IP they *THINK* they have to each other and they get lost.

I haven't seen this cause a problem talking to LaHo, just when talking to other ReplayTV units. Maybe a gateway IP or subnet changed, who knows... but at the first sign of trouble I suggest folks go back to automatic.

Since Henry figured out how to change the hostname to percdata.com. after initial setup, the DNS hack is only needed for the initial setup.
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greysquirrel34 wrote:
I have no idea how to do that, I have been running a network set up for around five years and have had no problem. Did going to LaHo and manual set up do something to cause this changing of the IP address on both machines?

I was always afraid to mess with my router settings too, as I knew nothing about them, so I was never able to use IVS either, and every so often one or the other of my 3 Replays would not show up as being available for streaming to the other Replays. But the DNNA shut down forced my hand as I decided to go the WiRNS route for getting the channel guide.

I just wrote a quick guide for setting up static IP addresses for your Replay units on the WiRNS wiki. If you try this, ignore the parts about using your own WiRNS address in the DNS settings, use the LaHo address instead.

http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/Installation:Router
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: