Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still having network prolems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Still having network prolems Reply with quote

Had a problem with my machines not connecting to the server or communicating with each other. Was instructed to change from manual to automatic in settings and that worked, for about four hours when I was watching a program recorded on my 5080 from my 5040 when a program started to record on the 5080 and I got a no network icon on the TV screen. I turned on the 5080 and watched the rest of the show with no problem.
This morning I tried the holding the power button in but that did nothing to solve the problem. The I tried to set the network to manual and used the numbers on the LaHo site as I did when I first signed up but when I went and hit the continue button I got a message Invalid IP Address. The address I put in was the same one I use before as I had printed out the instructions and kept them. The number I put in are 192-168, is that a mistake. This is getting old real fast, even if not having the machines networked together is no a real problem but it is convenient to have them working together.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure one of the experts will respond, but from my experience, having the RTV see the "mothership" and having the RTV see another RTV can be two different problems unless there is a problem with your router. The former problem has to do with having an internet connection and functional router and the latter has to do with just having a functional router (neither internet nor LaHo are factors here).

When I have had a problem with RTVs seeing each other, the first thing I check is the router - I check to make sure the router can see the RTVs, whether assigning an automatic IP address or using s reserved one. Then I make sure that the IP address in the router for the RTV is the same as the one on each RTV. If one is different, then there is your problem. As well, if you use dynamic on the router, but manual in the RTV, because of the DHCP bug, if you are not using a router that can absolutely assign a reserved address, you should not use the manual settings on the RTV; use automatic.

If the router is sending dynamic IP addresses, and the RTVs are set to automatic, sometimes the RTVs still won't see each other for a little while because the unit hasn't re-established its IP addresses with the router for that day. In that case, what I do is simply change the name of the RTV by one letter and that forces the RTV to announce itself to the network again. After that, all my RTVs see each other again. If you do nothing though, eventually they will see each other again.

If your router is fine, then the LaHo issue should be resolved as long as you have the correct serial numbers/channel guide/etc in place.

OR another problem could be with the ethernet card in the RTV or even your ethernet cable.

In your case, I would start with the router, but also make sure that the light is on by the ethernet jacks when a cable is plugged in.

Susan
ppahr
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't got new data since friday this may not be only your problem
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it beat the heck out of me. Last night we watched 3 one hour programs on my 5040 and then wanted to watch a half hour program on my 5080 so I thought I would check out if I could get the recorded programs with out changing machines, and when I went to change the replay guide it worked and I was able to watch the shows without changing machines. This morning I got up and checked if everything was working and it was not, when I went to my recorded programs the upper right of my screen said Replay Show, not the name of the machine. I went to connect to the server and was unable to, I did this because that is all I did after I posted yesterday and then things worked, so I did a reset by holding in the power button and when the 5040 restarted I checked the recorded shows menu and the upper right showed the name of the machine, I changed the name and is showed the shows on the 5080. So as of 1:22 on Oct 4th everything is OK, but give in an hour or so and who knows. If worst comes to worst I will just toggle the machines on and off, change the source on my TV and AVR so it is not that big of a deal if it stops recognizing my 5080.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe your network?

Are both ReplayTV's connected to to the same switch?

Do you have any wireless bridges or other routers involved?
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Airport extreme, Netgear Prosafe 8 switch, both machines are connected to the switch.
Have had this setup for five years with no problems till now. All lights are on connections to switch.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prosafe is a managed switch. Do you have any partitions set up?

I assume the Airport extreme is your router/DHCP server and connected to your modem. Do you know what your lease time is? 4 hours seems like a very short time interval, but maybe the airport is set up for a 4 hour lease.

When you're having a problem, look at the ReplayTV, ensure it's still on "automatic" networking and note the IP address on both units.

Then try and ping those IPs from a computer on your network.

None of this will fix anything, but will help isolate the problem.

Robert
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no partitions set up, Nowhere on my router set up do I see anything about lease time. Right now both machines are on automatic and have the same IP address. If it goes out again I will check and see if both are on the same address.
How do I ping the IP addresses from my computer?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greysquirrel34 wrote:
Have no partitions set up, Nowhere on my router set up do I see anything about lease time. Right now both machines are on automatic and have the same IP address. If it goes out again I will check and see if both are on the same address.
How do I ping the IP addresses from my computer?

Hopefully you're looking in the wrong place.. It should not be possible for both ReplayTV's to have the same IP address when networking is set to "automatic". If they do, there's your problem.

Are you sure you're looking at the IP Address field?

In the image below, the IP address is the number above subnet mask. (I know it's blurred out.. you can post your values.. they're not secret... I blurred it out so folks wouldn't type it in)

Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you show is what I had when it was on manual, now if I go to Change Network the numbers are
IP-10-0-1-12 and IP 10-10-1-11 all other numbers on the machines are the
subnet 255-255-255-0 same.
Gateway 10-0-1-1
Dns 10-0-1-1
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really have both your Gateway and DNS pointing to the same IP (which I assume is the IP of your router) ? You're supposed to have 207.58.129.219 in the DNS field, though I think Robert explained that that's not absolutely necessary past the first connection.

Do you have reserved IP addresses for the two Replay units on the DHCP panel of your router?

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, since she already talked to PERC, she shouldn't need the DNS setting. Also since she's not using WiRNS, she doesn't need the DHCP reservation... it's ok if the IP changes.

Greysquirrell, are you sure the ReplayTV IPs start 10.0 and 10.10? That's pretty strange with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. With that subnet the first three numbers should be the same.

What else do you have on your network? I suspect you have two boxes offering DHCP services (10.0.1.x and 10.10.1.x). When the two ReplayTV's are in different subnets they won't be able to see each other.

Here's a guess... Both a *LAN* port on your AirPort Extreme and a port on your Prosafe switch are hooked up to your router. In that configuration, you should either use the *WAN* port of the Airport or put it in bridge or Wireless Access Point mode (disabling it's DHCP server).

Robert
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, both start with 10-0 my mistake.
Have both RTV's, Smart DVD player and Smart TV.
As I said the network has worked fine for five years, just recently has started to act up on the RTV's, the other equipment works fine.
I'm not going to worry about it any longer as long as I can download the program guide I can live with it.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the following article, you can manage the lease time, set a default range for dynamically assigned IP addresses, and reserve specific IP addresses for specific machines, on the Apple Airport extreme:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5140?locale=en_US

Quote:
If you've set up your base station or your AirPort Time Capsule to use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to provide IP addresses to computers and devices on your wireless network, you can choose the range of IP addresses a device uses, determine the amount of time a computer will have a valid IP address, enter a welcome message, and reserve specific IP addresses to assign to specific computers that join your network.
  1. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. Select the device you want to set up, then click Edit. Enter the password if necessary.
  2. Click Network, and then choose either DHCP and NAT or DHCP Only from the Router Mode pop-up menu, depending on how you want to use DHCP.
  3. Choose a range of IP addresses from the DHCP Range pop-up menu. Choose 10.0, 172.16, or 192.168, and then enter a beginning and ending address in the beginning and ending fields, depending on which addresses you want the device to provide.

If you set up a guest network, you can choose the address range for the guest network as well.
  4. Enter a number in the DHCP Lease field, and then choose minutes, hours, or days from the pop-up menu.
  5. To provide specific IP addresses to specific computers on your wireless network, click Add (+) below the DHCP Reservations list, and then follow the onscreen instructions to name the reservation. Reserve the address by MAC address or DHCP client ID. If you choose MAC address, click Continue and enter the MAC address and specific IP address.

If you would still like to set things up so that your Replay units can stream to each other, my recommendation would be to establish static IP addresses for them in the router itself. When I had mine set up as Automatic, it was very sporadic as to whether they could see each other, but since I switched to Manual I have not had any problems.

If you do this, set up a range of IP addresses that your router will use for devices that still get their IPs dynamically (eg, 100 thru 199), then make sure that the static addresses that you use for your Replays is NOT in that range.

Here's a Wiki article that I wrote with some screen shots from my router
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/Installation:Router
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:
Thanks for the link to Apple Support. As of now everything is working so I don't have a problem so rather than mess around with something I know nothing about my feelings are if it aint broke don't fix it, and right now it aint broke, of course come tomorrow who know.
Anyhow I thank everyone who posted information on how to get get my machines talking to each odther.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: