Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cox Cable going 100% digital...can I keep my ReplayTV 5040?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miloshapiro
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Cox Cable going 100% digital...can I keep my ReplayTV 5040? Reply with quote

Not super techy here, so please keep that in mind.
We love our ReplayTV-5040, enough so that we learned how to use LaHo and paid the fee to keep using the 5040 instead of giving up on it.

Yesterday, we got a letter in the mail from our cable company, Cox Communications, saying that staring in February, they're going to start going purely digital.

Despite having an HDTV, we've accepted for years the lower quality footage at non-HD recording in order to keep our 5040 going. But I'm suspecting that the announcement that we just got means that the signal is going to change...and that the 5040 won't be able to record that?

If that's the truth, then we may have to break down and go TiVo or, worse, the cable company's crummy DVR.

If, though, there's a way we can keep using our 5040 in some way, we'd love to know what that would require and how hard it is. Some sort of converter perhaps that could come between the input cable and the Replay, perhaps?

Thanks! - Milo
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your call, but many digital cable, or satellite people use a Replay to drive the digital box. Many cable outfits have a fairly inexpensive DTA (Digital to Analog) converter they can supply. Don't be afraid to complain and they may waive the rental.
Cliff
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this back in 2012 when Comcast went 100% digital in the Chicago area. Even though Replay didn't already have an IR blaster code that would work the new DTA boxes, we developed one and now it's a standard part of WiRNS and gets distributed by LaHo. Many cable companies use the same box, so code 1982 might work for you too.

Do you still have your IR blaster cable?

Another option is to buy a special custom cable that replaces the IR blaster and connects the Replay to the DTA box directly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191554446582
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: