Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to test drives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: How to test drives Reply with quote

Hi.

So I bought three drives from navodeo. Now I want to test them in one of my unused units. These drives start with the quick start screen. I found Henry's instructions in another thread on how to boot with the ethernet unplugged to get the manual setup. I do that, plug in the ethernet, connect to my network, but then I get the zip code screen and fail since I am trying to use Goodwill with this unit as I don't need it online after this process is completed.

Since I can't get past the zip screen, I thought of adding it to my LaHo account, but I can't get a free trial on my account that already exists. I thought about setting up another account, but will that conflict with my existing one? All I want to do with setup these drives, and then I might not even need Goodwill since it doesn't set the clock (at least it didn't on the regular drive I had in place before hooking up one of the new ones). It just loaded data on Zone 11 (codes for IR?).

So what have others done to test units/drives when they don't want to disturb their system and don't need to pay for another unit on LaHo?

BTW - I have also emailed Robert directly.

Thanks,
Susan
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I broke down and decided to open up one of my registered machines. It is just a pain because it isn't convenient to unplug/replug.

One tidbits to share:
Remembering to uplug and replug the ethernet is a little pain. If you don't unplug it before it boots up, you cannot just unplug it before choosing ethernet. You must reboot it after it is unplugged to get to the manual setup screen. And then remember to plug it in. I forget this for the first few fails. Ugh!

So, all three drives setup fine in the registered unit. Then I took them back to the unregistered one thinking they would now operate like my other offline drives. I was wrong. While I can go into the menu and change settings and I can netconnect to LaHo (Goodwill), I cannot use the drive at all as I now get the RTV Activation screen. This was a lifetime unit and the status says Activated under System Info. The netconnect does not remedy this. Suggestions?
The Robman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Susan,
I'm going to bed right now, but let's get together tomorrow and we'll sort this out, ok?

I have a unit from navodeo too.

Rob
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob! I am not sure what to try next.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan, re-reading your 2 messages I think you have already tried most of what I was going to suggest. I guess my first question is, would you consider switching to a WiRNS setup where you get your channel guide info from Schedules Direct rather than LaHo? That way you have much greater control over your system and you can feed all of your Replays for just $25/year. I would be more than happy to walk you through the process if you're willing.

If you want to stay with LaHo, what I would suggest is that you use a 2nd email address to set up a 2nd LaHo account and try using that to get the new Replay unit setup.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really happy with LaHo. It is so simple to use and I don't have to deal with another computer running in my house (I already have too many).

I could use another email for another account, but I though the LaHo system tracked my IP address, and I didn't want that to get confused with my regular account.

I just don't think Goodwill is actually activating anything. What doesn't make sense is that if a drive was already activated on a machine in use, it should still be active on any RTV unit. And this is not the case right now. I can put an old DNNA-used drive in the unregistered box, and it works no problem. I put one of these new ones activated on my registered machine with LaHo, and it isn't still active on the same unregistered box. That means something is wrong with LaHo/Goodwill activation. Since Goodwill also did not set my clock on the old DNNA drive, I have to wonder if Goodwill is actually still operational (It didn't change the time at all at first, then after a reboot, it changed it to an earlier time, but it was 2.5 hours off, so that can't be GMT time with the .5).

How can we tell if Goodwill is activating machines/drives?
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have another pc running for WiRNS, you can install WiRNS on one of your existing pcs. I had avoided using WiRNS for 10 years, but the DNNA closure forced my hand and now I absolutely love it. You can do so much with it, way above and beyond just getting the channel guide.

As for LaHo and Goodwill, what IP address are you using? There is no separate GoodWill IP anymore, you should be using 207.58.129.219

I believe that LaHo is based on the serial number of the Replay, not your IP address, so I think you can set up a 2nd account using a 2nd email address, but I'm not positive.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't run PCs at home. I use Macs (a few of them). I do have bootcamp on two of them with XP. I also have my old XP computer and a rtv xp box where I have the rtv tools that I tried to use once. I almost never use PC at home anymore though.

It is the same IP for Goodwill and LaHo, yes.

And while LaHo does use serial number, the only way to prevent someone from getting free trials for many machines would be to track IP, right? You are only entitled to one free trial, so I figured it was using my IP, but I don't know for sure.

I just want confirmation that Goodwill is activating machines/drives because I don't think it is any longer.

As well, activation was not supposed to be on the drive, it was on the motherboard - that is why it was a lifetime UNIT not lifetime drive. I can't understand why a lifetime unit has no problem with DNNA drives, but can't use LaHo ones.
ppahr
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: new drives Reply with quote

she's right i set my new drives up and all goes well until i try to access them then i get activation /registration then it won't activate
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll probably need Robert Eden to weigh in on this.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was emailing him directly yesterday, but I couldn't get confirmation from him on what Goodwill does with activation. He suggested I post here (which I already had done concurrently).
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has certainly said in the past that LaHo will both activate units and set the clock
ppahr
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i solved my problem with activation now have to get ir codes for comcast
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some info info is stored in EEPROM not on the hard disk.. so moving the drive among "activated" units wouldn't fix that.

So, in order to set the timezone and lineup on the unconfigured boxes, you would need to use WiRNS or LaHo with an empty serial-number slot. Once that's done, the serial number could be removed and LaHo Goodwill should keep the clock set.

Ryan? am I correct?

Robert
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is still some confusion here. I setup the drives on my LaHo machine, so I was able to setup the timezone, zipcode, channel guide, etc. Then I moved the drives back to the unregistered machine, like I have with several other old drives, but now those new drives (and only those ones) need activation again. That is what doesn't make sense. They were already setup and should be activated via the LaHo RTV.

ppahr - how did you get past the activation problem? Please share when you find a solution.

Susan
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I was hoping to try this myself to see what worked (or didn't) for me, but the Replay that I got from navodeo doesn't appear to work, so I can't.
ppahr
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your running wirns go to file folder and copy and paste file named authcmds.example the change name to just authcmds. then do and update i'm still working on ir codes tho
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
I think there is still some confusion here. I setup the drives on my LaHo machine, so I was able to setup the timezone, zipcode, channel guide, etc. Then I moved the drives back to the unregistered machine, like I have with several other old drives, but now those new drives (and only those ones) need activation again. That is what doesn't make sense. They were already setup and should be activated via the LaHo RTV.

I don't think registry values / activation is stored on the hard drive. I think it's stored in an memory chip (like your PC's BIOS settings). If that was the case, the unit itself would need settings tweaked; it won't follow the disk.

I suspect ReplayTV did this intentionally, so folks couldn't just move the disk and have the registration info moved.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
So, in order to set the timezone and lineup on the unconfigured boxes, you would need to use WiRNS or LaHo with an empty serial-number slot. Once that's done, the serial number could be removed and LaHo Goodwill should keep the clock set.

I'm not clear on how to do what you just described Robert.

You are correct that it's the Replay unit itself that needs to be activated, not the hard drive, so swapping a drive from an activated activat unit into a non-activated, won't make the new unit active.

However, it appears that Susan is trying to connect her new unit to LaHo in order to activate it and it appears that LaHo is not activating it.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I am doing. This particular unregistered (with LaHo) unit was a lifetime unit that I used for several years before the power supply went bad, so I moved the drive to another unit (which is registered with LaHo). Since replacing the power supply, the unit has worked without a problem using several other drives I had from other units. When I set it up yesterday, first I installed a few old DNNA drives, and with one, I changed the DNS to make sure I could connect to LaHo. That is when it did NOT set the clock, but did load Zone 11 data onto that drive. No problems with accessing the empty channel guide or the Replay guide.

Then I tried the new drives, but couldn't get past the Zip screen. So, I installed those new drives into a registered LaHo unit, set up the drives with time zone and channels. Everything worked fine. Then I installed them back into the old unregistered unit. Again - it says Activated in the System Info. The unit works fine with the DNNA drives. I can connect to LaHo with the new drives installed, but I cannot access the Replay Guide or Channel Guide as they are locked behind an Activation screen (and I can't activate).

I shouldn't even need activation from LaHo as the unit is activated and the drives came from another activated unit. So why is this happening?
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have given a fuller description of your situation, I really wish you had a PC available to you, because then I would suggest that you use RTVPatch to take a copy of the firmware on the working drive and then use it to restore the new drive.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an old PC with patch on it. But the person I bought the drives from already put the latest firmware on these drives with patch. I checked for that when I set them up.

These new drives appear normal in the LaHo machine, just not in the other one. It is as if when DNNA activated via a drive, they added a piece of data that LaHo doesn't add when it activates. So in a non-registered (with LaHo) unit, something is missing and the unit thinks it is unactivated again, but just for those drives. I put three old DNNA drives into the unit prior to the new ones, and had no problems.

Can someone please confirm what LaHo does for activation and if it is working.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have a drive that works in this particular unit? If so, what I am suggesting is that you copy the data from that drive to the new drive.

I know that Jeff loaded the latest firmware onto the drives, but that firmware came with someone else's settings (ie, from whoever archived it from their machine). What I am suggesting is that you archive the working firmware from the old drive (as that will save it with all of your settings) and then load it onto the new drive.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several drives that work in that unit, but I need drives that will work in all units, not just one. And that drive was not the original for that unit, but came from an old unit that my dad had.

So I have to figure out how to do that without the old shows that were left.

That will also mean that I will have to set them up on a LaHo machine all over again, right?

I am now recalling that when I bought some of the used RTVs from others and then plugged them into my network and set up my zip/guide, etc. For some of them, DNNA had to reactivate them. I wonder why that would have been. They were working drives in active units, so why would you have to reactive them just because you changed the zip code? Of course, with DNNA active, it was easy. I thought that was what Goodwill was supposed to do.

At this point, I want the answer about Goodwill before I go to the trouble of turning on more computers and trying to remember patch.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to remember that it's not the hard drive that is activated, it's the machine itself. I assume they store something in the EEPROM and when you change drives, it might cause the flag to get unset.

LaHo is supposed to activate all units that connect to it, even unregistered ones, but that doesn't appear to be working for you. Hopefully Robert can clarify what you need to do.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your PERC data account, select "edit account" and copy one of the serial numbers to a text file and save it so you have it for later, then delete the serial number from Perc (so it's empty).

Next, add the new ReplayTV to LaHo.. it should fill in it's serial number and configure normally. Test as you wish.

Once you're done testing, simply edit your account again and put the old serial number back.

I'm not sure why you're having NTP issues.. no one else has reported a problem.

Robert
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but this won't help me since I don't want to take any of regular machines out of the LaHo system for that long. I don't want to risk that box becoming inactive if its serial is not in place because I don't want to lose access to those shows.

It looks like one other person said they had this problem too, but they were using WIRNS.

I just want to know if Goodwill is supposed to be taking care of the activation problem, and if so, why isn't it working? If the DNS is set to point to LaHo/GW, why would the Activation screen (that shouldn't even be happening) try to connect to DNNA?
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, your Replays only dial into LaHo once a day. What Robert is suggesting should only take a few minutes.

Basically he's telling you how you can temporarily use your existing LaHo account to activate your new Replay, then once it's up and running, you can switch your account back to how it was. As a bonus, you would get a valid channel guide in the new Replay too. Granted the show info would run out in 2 weeks, but the channels would still be there, which is important if you want to do manual recordings from this new unit.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. That is what I did by putting the drives in a machine already on LaHo. I set up the drive and loaded the channel guide. Now I want the drive to work in an unregistered, activated RTV with Goodwill, and it will not. That is why there is a problem.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Goodwill sets the registry settings just like normal LaHo (and WiRNS). Obviously, that does not appear to be happening in your case so I suggested using normal LaHo.

As long as you put your "production" serial number back in LaHo in a few days you probably wouldn't even notice a change. The "inactive" serial number would really only need to be in there for a few hours max.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: