Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home networking questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Home networking questions... Reply with quote

Hi,

My home network has gotten more complex over time...

Problem or symptoms, none. Maybe less than ideal? Both Intranets have to work without the internet - be able to be standalone...

Questions:
1) If I change the home network, will this confuse my replay? The Replay is at the end of the network, farthest from the MODEM.
Note: Internet provider wont allow DNS, other than them...
2) Should I fix it, or leave it allow? - It ain't broke...

I have satellite internet services, I have two separate LANs.

How it WAS:
The MODEM is 192.168.100.1 (IP not change-able)
I have a 4 port wireless router, this is the main one (there are two routers) and DHCP is turned on both, 192.168.0.1 (Router1).
The second Wireless router, also has DHCP turned on, 192.168.1.234 (Router2).
All up stream connections are connected to the internet ports.

How it is now:
New problem, non-problem.
Internet provider, gave new MODEM with Router in it.
It added its own IP address of, 192.168.1.1

MODEM: 192.168.100.1
MODEM's Internal Router: 192.168.1.1
Router1: 192.168.0.1
Router2: 192.168.1.234
Replay....

What I propose:
Modem: 192.168.100.1
MODEM's Internal Router: 192.168.1.1
Router1: 192.168.2.1
Router2: 192.168.3.234
Replay....

Thoughts?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ReplayTV is already talking to LaHo, it's ok to set ReplayTV networking to automatic. Then it should get an IP on whatever network you connect it to. Don't let your PERC account expire... we may set the ReplayTV hostname back to replaytv.net in that case. (I think we changed that because it was causing trouble, but better not to let it happen)

The network you describe (old/new) is called double-NAT... and you're doing it twice. You have two devices (ISP router and your router) doing network address translation. It's an extra delay, but you probably won't notice it. I'm actually running double-NAT myself. (I don't like the features of the Uverse modem/router) If you have pinholes in firewalls, then things can get complicated. If not, plug and go.

Router1 and Router2 each have two IP addresses. One assigned by MODEM and one hard coded (probably defaulted). Devices attached to Router1 and Router2 are assigned addresses in the hard-coded subnet.

If devices connected to Router1 never need to talk to devices connected to Router2 there's no reason not to use the default "plug it in and it works" setup. If hosts do need to talk to each other, then we can talk about a more complicated setup.

The new modem should just plug in and work. It will give Router1 and Router2 new "Internet port" IP addresses. Nothing will probably change on the Router1/Router2 LAN sides.

Robert
RTV-or-No-TV
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the routers IP addressees.

The two networks dont normally talk, except that Router1, one of the LAN port, is my internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> LaHo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: