Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Visit our partner site: ReplayFAQs.com
Back to top page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max Transfer Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graystrickland
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Max Transfer Speed Reply with quote

Why is the default Max Transfer Speed (per download) set to 614?

Why is it written that, "Changing these perameters can result in crashing your ReplayTV unit, and in some cases corrupting the data on the unit, possibly rendering the ReplayTV unit unuseable."?

I have two 5040s (upgraded with 160 and 200 gb drives) and a wired 10/100 network with switches (not hubs). I never stream video back to my RPTV units. I only use DVArchive to pull the videos off to my pc so that I can edit them.

I've left my download speed at 600 like a good little boy. How dangerous is it to meddle around and boost it up?
gduprey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for 5xxx series, you should probably change to 1 download and 300 KB/s. Faster makes using the ReplayTV extremely difficult during downloads.

The risk, such as it is, is that going too fast saps away the ReplayTV CPU horsepower and can result in a crash. Anytime there is a crash, there is always the possibility of data loss.

If you know the unit is not recording a show and the power button is off (blue light off), you can generally get away with setting the download speed to 0 (unlimited) which will peak around 1.3MB/sec on a 5xxx series device. However, doing that when the unit is on (buffering live TV) or recording can cause a crash.

Remember the ReplayTV was not designed for what DVA does and anytime yopu start doing things it wasn't designed to so (like drawing off video faster than needed for real-time playback), your operating in the "unknowns".

That said, most folks have very few problems. But I do not want to responsible if you are the unlikely one who has a nasty hard crash that turns your ReplayTV into a door stop. Is it likely? No. It is possible? Yes.

Hope that helps
rjudge
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gduprey wrote:
Remember the ReplayTV was not designed for what DVA does and anytime yopu start doing things it wasn't designed to so (like drawing off video faster than needed for real-time playback), your operating in the "unknowns".

This raises the question. What is the average data rate for video from a Replay at the three different quality levels?

Rick
MrTolles
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed my 5040 using DVArchive. I did not change any of the settings, (I left it at the default 600, as I read later 5xxx should be at 300) but set a show to download as I left for work in the morning, and a show started to record in the afternoon before it was done transferring and my 5040 crashed. It was only like 2 weeks after my warrantee expired and I had to low level format my drive 3 times before the drive became stable enough to work properly. I still have problems and have to unplug my replay for about 4 hours once a week in order for it to not crash. After that hart-breaking experience, I would change you settings to max transfer speed at 300 and set downloads to 1. I would also only download when you won't be watching your ReplayTV or recording. Good Luck
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjudge wrote:

This raises the question. What is the average data rate for video from a Replay at the three different quality levels?

Rick

Well....doing some math...1 hour in standard is about 900MB (double for medium and triple for high)....

900MB/hour -> 0.25MB/second -> 256kB/second

So medium would be 512kB/second and high would be 768kB/second.

However when streaming high quality that is pretty much all you can do, doing anything else usually leads to (at least) stuttering for me (that's RTV to RTV....DVA is by wireless, so that limits my ability to sustain HQ streaming)

For me, I have DVarchive set to 256kB/second and 2 downloads. Though I usually only download one show at a time. And, this is while the RTV is off....though sometimes the RTV is on, but I stay away from recordings (killed an RTV once by downloading too much while it was also recording).

It is almost always busy sending one or more shows...so that might factor into my streaming induced lockups.

The Dreamer
gduprey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTolles wrote:
I crashed my 5040 using DVArchive. ... and I had to low level format my drive 3 times before the drive became stable enough to work properly. I still have problems and have to unplug my replay for about 4 hours once a week in order for it to not crash.
That is truly a worst case scenario and my heart does go out to you.

One thing though - while DVA can certainly put too much a load on the ReplayTV, given the level of difficulties you are having, I really beleive your ReplayTV has problems itself. Nothing I can imagine would require >1 low level reformat but a potentially bad disk or bad power supply. And having to power off each week to keep it stable is troubling. DVA can certainly aggravate the sitaution by making the unit work harder, but I think there is likely a larger underlying condition at work here.

Couple of things to note about V3.0:

* The default for new DVA users is 300KB/sec @ 1 download as this better matches 5xxx device capabilities and 5xxxs now make up the majority of new DVA users.

Using scheduled tasks to do downloads late at night when the RTV is likely idle can help manage the problem. DVA V3.0 adds the ability for scheduled tasks to turn the ReplayTV off (if on) before they download, further helping out stability.
Hotchili
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could DVA be set to schedule it's downloads when nothing else is scheduled to record automatically? Would be a nice feature. Pause/resume downloads would be nice too.

Just learning how to use this app, but as others have noted, it truly kicks ass.

thanks!!
gduprey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set when the downloads occur and have a better idea when your ReplayTV is idle then when it's not. There is no way to determine if a ReplayTV is busy or not outside the ReplayTV (there is no exposed procotol/info). So the most reliable way is to know roughly what you record and schedule downloads when nothing else is going on.
enjoylife78
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDreamer wrote:

{standard} -> 256kB/second

So medium would be 512kB/second and high would be 768kB/second.
The Dreamer

am i misunderstanding how these work.. if i want to watch a show on my replaytv which is stored on my pc's dvarchive (ie stream it from pc->replaytv), and the show is medium quality.. don't i need my transfer speed set to at least 512kB/second? (i'm asking primarily b/c i'm seeing some skipping when i try to do this.. using a wired 100mb/s network, so it's not b/c of wireless problems.. i think it used to work, and i never changed the 'max transfer speed' settings, but wondering if i should increase the settings now). thanks
enjoylife78
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way.. if the default of dvarchive is (or was at least) 2 downloads, 600kB/sec per download.. can it be set to 1 download and 1200kB/sec without worry?
Burger23
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transfer speeds ONLY relate to the download speed - moving a show from the RTV to the pc. It has nothing to do with the streaming speed, which is automatic. If you are experiencing skipping during streaming, odds are you have a wireless setup.
enjoylife78
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the clarification re the 'max speed' setting and that it only applies to rtv->pc. regarding my slow speeds.. turns out i had a bad cat5 cable in there.. not sure how it became bad, but replacing it fixed things back to normal... thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: